Unsung Hero: A Sister's Support

jamesleehawaii
The last 6 months have been decidedly the worst of my life. The metal bars of depression imprisoned me so firmly that not even the smallest scintillation of light deemed a possible escape to freedom. For me, life was tantamount to the games one may find in desolate arcades. Although riddled with emotional vicissitudes, life was nothing more than superficial repetitions that seemed brutally and needlessly endless. I had no goals, no aspirations, but most importantly, I was indifferent, even content, with the aspect of failure that consumed my very being. I had no hand that lent me support, no shoulder that provided a sanction for my tears. Yet I embraced these conditions with unfaltering acceptance, if not ignorantly and stubbornly.

A Hero is sometimes defined as one who is brave, courageous, and influential. But my sister is none of that. She is an aberration, a crazy, disillusioned, impossible person. For how crazy can my sister be? How disillusioned must she be to sacrifice 6 months of time to support another worthless human being? My sister is my unsung hero because she saved my life.

My sister has done nothing but support me, and her persistence never fails to surprise me. Even in times when I adamantly resist her, usually a facade to hide my vulnerability, she understands the importance of her love in which I rely and depend on. The change that I have undergone is all due to my sister, and yet there are no remunerations to repay her altruistic acts. I haven’t even mustered a simple “thank you” so far, afraid of the emotional breakdown that such as meaningful phrase may entail. Yet rewards are not what my sister asks for. An offering of insurmountable fame, or an endless supply of cash would receive a scornful glance from my sister. She has carried me through a tortuous journey, nevertheless my emotional alterations and improvements seem to be more then enough compensation for the unstinting amount of comfort and love she has generously imparted.

I believe that all heroes have an underlying common characteristic. During the time when I was truly and utterly alone, the only person by my side was my sister. The constant presence she provided was a blessing in itself, something no one else was willing to give to me. A hero doesn't have to be most famous, doesn't have to be the bravest, or the strongest. A true hero is someone crazy enough to to do something that no one else will.