STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: A Sister's Support

jamesleehawaii
The last 6 months have been decidedly the worst of my life. The metal bars of depression imprisoned me so firmly that not even the smallest scintillation of light deemed a possible escape to freedom. For me, life was tantamount to the games one may find in desolate arcades. Although riddled with emotional vicissitudes, life was nothing more than superficial repetitions that seemed brutally and needlessly endless. I had no goals, no aspirations, but most importantly, I was indifferent, even content, with the aspect of failure that consumed my very being. I had no hand that lent me support, no shoulder that provided a sanction for my tears. Yet I embraced these conditions with unfaltering acceptance, if not ignorantly and stubbornly.

A Hero is sometimes defined as one who is brave, courageous, and influential. But my sister is none of that. She is an aberration, a crazy, disillusioned, impossible person. For how crazy can my sister be? How disillusioned must she be to sacrifice 6 months of time to support another worthless human being? My sister is my unsung hero because she saved my life.

My sister has done nothing but support me, and her persistence never fails to surprise me. Even in times when I adamantly resist her, usually a facade to hide my vulnerability, she understands the importance of her love in which I rely and depend on. The change that I have undergone is all due to my sister, and yet there are no remunerations to repay her altruistic acts. I haven’t even mustered a simple “thank you” so far, afraid of the emotional breakdown that such as meaningful phrase may entail. Yet rewards are not what my sister asks for. An offering of insurmountable fame, or an endless supply of cash would receive a scornful glance from my sister. She has carried me through a tortuous journey, nevertheless my emotional alterations and improvements seem to be more then enough compensation for the unstinting amount of comfort and love she has generously imparted.

I believe that all heroes have an underlying common characteristic. During the time when I was truly and utterly alone, the only person by my side was my sister. The constant presence she provided was a blessing in itself, something no one else was willing to give to me. A hero doesn't have to be most famous, doesn't have to be the bravest, or the strongest. A true hero is someone crazy enough to to do something that no one else will.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy