Unsung Hero: More Than Just a Soccer Coach

richaelmice15
Mike Rice
Mrs. Flesch
College Reading and Writing
30 January 2015

Unsung Hero: “Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Won’t Work”

Although my principal and coach is a published author and has been named the National Coach of the Year for Boys' Soccer in 2002 and 2012, and led his teams to earn four state championships, he is much more than that. Mentoring us and guiding us to the Cross and molding us into men of character are the top of his priority list as a coach. “Trophies and autographed soccer balls mean nothing to me, the only thing they are good for is collecting dust. What truly matters is how you grow into strong men of Christ.” Shawn Brower is my mentor on and off the soccer field. He has guided me through hardship in my high school career and also taught me how to improve my game. He always tells me, “Hard work beats talent when talent won’t work.” This quote is special to me because it goes beyond the soccer field. By going all in, selling out in any area of your life, you will be successful.

Dr. Brower couldn’t have said this enough; “If I only cared about playing time and records and how many goals you score, I would have failed you as a coach. Soccer is silly game where a few guys chase a black and white ball to kick in a goal. It is only a minuscule fraction of this crazy little thing called life. Try not to be a man of success, but a man of value.” Coach used to visit a funeral home just to listen and learn from their experiences, journeys, mistakes and hardships. He said "they would talk for days if you let them."

My coach and mentor has been recognized and acknowledged for his novels and career, but he is more focused on building a team of men and champions for Christ. I am thankful for his persistence and commitment to this team and his intense passion for the sport of soccer. I am also grateful for his ability to correspond soccer with character and winning, or losing, with class and respect. I am a senior in high school eager to experience an amazing opportunity at Liberty University, and he has prepared me to take this chance and run with it. Dr. Brower is a hero in my life for showing me the right path and holding me accountable to stay the course.