Unsung Hero: Behind the Scenes of it All

Charles
This is a story of a homeless boy living on the streets of Lake Worth with no hope of becoming something great to becoming a young man breaking the statistics and having confidence to pursue his dreams. My name is Will Clervil, and when I was thirteen years old my family and I became homeless. We were living in abandoned homes and my mother suffered from mental illness. I went to school on and off and did not complete the 7th grade. Eventually, the police discovered my brother and me. We were taken away from our mother and placed into foster care. I will never forget that tragic event, I was depressed because my heart was broken. I can remember my mom crying her heart out when they took us away, before that I have never seen my mother cry and it tore me apart. However, this devastating day was a blessing in disguise because I met someone who gave me hope and encouraged me to believe in myself when I didn’t. This person was an unsung hero not for money or the recognition; but for the love and enjoyment it brought to others.
An unsung hero is a person who makes a significant yet unrecognized contribution to someone’s life in a positive way. These people may never get paid or receive recognition for their good deeds. There are many unsung heroes in our society today- from family members to even people you see on your way to work every morning, and from teachers to coaches. An unsung hero must be brave and not afraid of being different from peers and the world. My unsung hero is my guardian ad litem Erica Rhine.
Erica Rhine is my unsung hero because of the things she did for me outside her job requirements. She is a guardian ad litem which is a volunteer who represents children in foster care in the child’s best interest. They speak up for children in court and make sure that they are heard. The fact that she volunteered to do this makes her an unsung hero because she speaks up for people who can’t speak for themselves due to certain requirements. Erica took time out of her day every two weeks to come see me and see how I am doing. She also helped me with school work. She is not a guardian ad litem anymore, but she still calls me once in a while to see how I am doing or plan to go to lunch and a movie with me. All of these qualities show you that she is an unsung hero to me.