STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: Stephen’s Impact

DanielBallew
Unsung Hero: Stephen’s Impact
In today’s society, people such as policeman, firefighters, and those who serve in the armed forces are often viewed as the epitome of a true hero. Even though we do honor these individuals, as we should, we often forget about the everyday and unknown heroes that have made an unrecognized contribution to society. One unacknowledged hero that often receives little recognition is the Biblical character Stephen. Although unknown to the vast majority of today’s society, this man’s bravery and love for others has impacted me in that he has demonstrated how I ought to live my life.
This Biblical character, Stephen, made several contributions to society, however one of the most influential, according to the Bible, was his love for others. In the Bible, it tells how Stephen was an ordinary man who had a love for Christ and, because of that love, longed to tell others of Christ’s salvation message. Stephen lived in the city of Jerusalem, where the high priests forbid people from telling others about Christ. However, Stephen’s love for others motivated him to share the message of salvation with them even though he could possibly be killed because of it. His love for others impacted me because it showed me that I should always love others no matter what the cost or even if they don’t extend that love back. His love helped other Christians of that time to see that they, too, should also love others even though it may cost them their life.

Ballew 2
Not only did Stephen demonstrate the quality of love but he also exemplified the quality of true bravery. During Stephen’s time, the religious leaders of the day believed that Jesus was not the true Messiah but that he was a false prophet. However, Stephen believed otherwise and wanted to prove to others that Christ was truly the Savior. He did so by preaching throughout Jerusalem. The high priests told him to stop preaching, however, he bravely continued even though it might have cost him his life. Eventually, Stephen was stoned and killed for preaching about Christ. However, his bravery and compassion for other would forever live on. In the Bible, it says in Acts 7:60, “And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge”.
Although not known to most of society, Stephen’s love and bravery impacted me in numerous ways. He showed me that I should not let other people’s opinions change my beliefs or how I behave. Furthermore, his bravery also demonstrated to me that sometimes we must be willing to sacrifice our own lives in order to save others. Stephen helped me to see that love and bravery are two qualities lacking in today’s society and that I should better demonstrate them through my everyday words and actions.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy