Unsung Hero: Stephen’s Impact

DanielBallew
Unsung Hero: Stephen’s Impact
In today’s society, people such as policeman, firefighters, and those who serve in the armed forces are often viewed as the epitome of a true hero. Even though we do honor these individuals, as we should, we often forget about the everyday and unknown heroes that have made an unrecognized contribution to society. One unacknowledged hero that often receives little recognition is the Biblical character Stephen. Although unknown to the vast majority of today’s society, this man’s bravery and love for others has impacted me in that he has demonstrated how I ought to live my life.
This Biblical character, Stephen, made several contributions to society, however one of the most influential, according to the Bible, was his love for others. In the Bible, it tells how Stephen was an ordinary man who had a love for Christ and, because of that love, longed to tell others of Christ’s salvation message. Stephen lived in the city of Jerusalem, where the high priests forbid people from telling others about Christ. However, Stephen’s love for others motivated him to share the message of salvation with them even though he could possibly be killed because of it. His love for others impacted me because it showed me that I should always love others no matter what the cost or even if they don’t extend that love back. His love helped other Christians of that time to see that they, too, should also love others even though it may cost them their life.

Ballew 2
Not only did Stephen demonstrate the quality of love but he also exemplified the quality of true bravery. During Stephen’s time, the religious leaders of the day believed that Jesus was not the true Messiah but that he was a false prophet. However, Stephen believed otherwise and wanted to prove to others that Christ was truly the Savior. He did so by preaching throughout Jerusalem. The high priests told him to stop preaching, however, he bravely continued even though it might have cost him his life. Eventually, Stephen was stoned and killed for preaching about Christ. However, his bravery and compassion for other would forever live on. In the Bible, it says in Acts 7:60, “And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge”.
Although not known to most of society, Stephen’s love and bravery impacted me in numerous ways. He showed me that I should not let other people’s opinions change my beliefs or how I behave. Furthermore, his bravery also demonstrated to me that sometimes we must be willing to sacrifice our own lives in order to save others. Stephen helped me to see that love and bravery are two qualities lacking in today’s society and that I should better demonstrate them through my everyday words and actions.