STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: Denee Massie

KyleeShipley

As cliche as it sounds to say my mother is my unsung hero, it is not without great consideration and thought that I came to this conclusion. Sure, I have other unsung heroes in my life, but not one compares to my mom.

My mother was a devoted tennis player her entire teenage life. But it did not stop there. She was the ranked number one in Florida at eighteen. She was offered a full ride to college at The University of Alabama and took it. Not long after starting college she met Craig Shipley, my father, and soon got married. Still prospering in her tennis career and planning a future on the professional tour, she became pregnant and her dream was taken from her. She did not end up playing her senior year of college and instead worked, took care of my sister, and finished her degree.

All the while, my dad was playing baseball at The University of Alabama and living his dream while my mom watched from the sidelines. My dad soon got called up to the Major Leagues and all his dreams came true. My mom is not spiteful of him because of his achievements, instead she has praised him for them ever since. She gave up her dreams to take care of her daughter and to support my father in his career and never once has she looked back.

Thirteen years later she divorced my father and became a single mother with two daughters teaching tennis lessons while my father traveled the world for work. Taking care of two kids who are nine years apart is no easy feat, but she did it with a smile on her face overcoming any obstacle that came her way. She put us through private schooling, with little help from my father financially, because she wanted the best education she could find for her daughters. She double mortgaged our house, worked over time, and sacrificed her own needs for ours.

About a year after the divorce she began dating and this angered my older sister. Once again, putting aside her own desires, she would not marry him for nine years until my sister finally gave her the ‘okay’. Nine years!

My mom taught me tennis until around age thirteen. When I became a teenager, I selfishly told my mom I did not want her to teach me, but instead I wanted her to pay someone else, probably less qualified, to do the job. This just added to the pile of bills she wondered how she would pay each month, but she did it every month because it made me happy.

All in all, my mother is one amazing, strong human-being. She is kind-hearted, brave, courageous, tough, and beautiful inside and out. She will do anything to make someone else happy or help someone out. It’s just her nature. She doesn’t receive praise for what she does, she does it out of the kindness of her heart. She is my unsung hero.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy