Unsung Hero: Denee Massie

KyleeShipley

As cliche as it sounds to say my mother is my unsung hero, it is not without great consideration and thought that I came to this conclusion. Sure, I have other unsung heroes in my life, but not one compares to my mom.

My mother was a devoted tennis player her entire teenage life. But it did not stop there. She was the ranked number one in Florida at eighteen. She was offered a full ride to college at The University of Alabama and took it. Not long after starting college she met Craig Shipley, my father, and soon got married. Still prospering in her tennis career and planning a future on the professional tour, she became pregnant and her dream was taken from her. She did not end up playing her senior year of college and instead worked, took care of my sister, and finished her degree.

All the while, my dad was playing baseball at The University of Alabama and living his dream while my mom watched from the sidelines. My dad soon got called up to the Major Leagues and all his dreams came true. My mom is not spiteful of him because of his achievements, instead she has praised him for them ever since. She gave up her dreams to take care of her daughter and to support my father in his career and never once has she looked back.

Thirteen years later she divorced my father and became a single mother with two daughters teaching tennis lessons while my father traveled the world for work. Taking care of two kids who are nine years apart is no easy feat, but she did it with a smile on her face overcoming any obstacle that came her way. She put us through private schooling, with little help from my father financially, because she wanted the best education she could find for her daughters. She double mortgaged our house, worked over time, and sacrificed her own needs for ours.

About a year after the divorce she began dating and this angered my older sister. Once again, putting aside her own desires, she would not marry him for nine years until my sister finally gave her the ‘okay’. Nine years!

My mom taught me tennis until around age thirteen. When I became a teenager, I selfishly told my mom I did not want her to teach me, but instead I wanted her to pay someone else, probably less qualified, to do the job. This just added to the pile of bills she wondered how she would pay each month, but she did it every month because it made me happy.

All in all, my mother is one amazing, strong human-being. She is kind-hearted, brave, courageous, tough, and beautiful inside and out. She will do anything to make someone else happy or help someone out. It’s just her nature. She doesn’t receive praise for what she does, she does it out of the kindness of her heart. She is my unsung hero.