Unsung Hero: Racetrack Corner working behind the engine’s roar

Jasonfichter

Unsung heroes are people that society needs, although most of us don’t know it. In my daily routine, I have come across numerous people that have acted in heroic ways and haven’t received credit for it. I also encounter numerous people that have the potential to someday become unsung heroes. Because these people aren’t recognized, they don’t receive any credit for their actions. Only the few people that do get recognized receive credit for their actions. Personally, I believe that a racetrack corner-worker is one of the biggest unsung heroes.
A corner-worker is often not noticed at all on the racetrack because the drivers are too busy racing. Often, they sit off in the shadows behind guardrails or concrete walls. They wait there until a helping hand is needed. However, no one really thinks about what a corner-worker actually does. Most people just think about the negative experiences that led the driver to crash.
When you think about an upcoming race weekend, you always hope you won’t have to come in close contact with a corner worker. It’s not personal, but many times meeting a corner-worker means that a crash has occurred. Consequently, corner-workers are often associated with negative events and thoughts.
When you crash, these corner-workers are the first people you want to see. They are there to assist you, and to make sure that you, and all the other racers, are safe on the track. They are there to put out a fire or to pull you out of metal and plastic wreckage. They have the most important job on the racetrack; yet, most drivers never really seem to think about them.
Young children aspire to be like the brave racecar drivers when, in reality, the bravest person on that track is a corner-worker. When you are strapped into a racecar, there is very little that can hurt you. You are secured to the car by six seatbelts and surrounded by a massive roll cage. Corner-workers don’t have that same protection. They are out on the track putting their lives on the line to protect drivers.
Recently, at Palm Beach International Raceway, a corner worker was doing his job and completing a selfless act to help another racer. He made the mistake of stepping out from behind the wall to help a motorcycle rider who had flown off his bike. He didn’t think to protect himself, only to help the driver. The uncontrolled bike cartwheeled into the corner-worker and, sadly, he lost his life. Everyday he did his job he is an unsung hero. Only now that he lost his life does he finally receive credit for his actions. He will be greatly missed in the racing community.
These heroes deserve credit for their actions no matter how small they may seem to be. A simple wave as we drive by on the cool down lap will suffice.