Unsung Hero: My Step Mom

amandamichellec
As a ten year old, my life consisted of pizza, my blanket and Spongebob Squarepants. As innocent as it might seem, I was extremely stubborn and picky. I was very particular about my food. Absolutely no fruits or vegetables. Bagels, without the crust, hot dogs, cut and peeled, with no bun. Of course they tried to force me to eat normal and healthy things, but despite my parents efforts, if it was not junk food, I would not eat it. I would literally go full days without eating if I didn't get what I wanted.
I was convinced that that was a perfectly normal and justifiable way of living. Until this one day when I was sitting on the couch and in walks my dad with this young woman following behind him. He introduces me, her name is Felicia. Filled with shy awkwardness, I let out a soft “hi” and quickly turn my attention back to the TV. She came and sat at the other side couch. My dad looked at me then announced that he would return shortly and walked out. The silence was deafening. It wasn't until a few moments after that Felicia tried to talk to me. “Oh you like Spongebob?” I nodded as I kept my eyes glued to the TV. She responded, “Me too! I love it!” I looked at her and smiled. My dad eventually came back and she left. When she left that day, I had no idea that she was going to make such a significant impact on my life. She has been in my life ever since.
Having my parents divorcing at the age of eight, I never thought I could let another adult come in my life and try to replace my mom or dad. But when Felicia came into the picture, she was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. She did not try to replace my mom by no means, on the contrary. When they got married, me and my sister started living with them full time. Out of all people, she was the one that successfully forced out my bad habits with eating and pushed me to excel in school. Although she was very young, she managed to mother two teenage girls like they were her own and she did it like a pro. I feel as though the sacrifices and contributions she makes on a daily basis sometimes go unrecognized. However, I am eternally grateful that she is in my life and guides me in very area in my life that I struggle in. She is my unsung hero. I cannot picture what my life would be without her in it.