Unsung Hero: The Dirty Man

Devon1
“It smells. It reeks. Please get this nasty thing out of my house.” These are the words that my mother uses to describe the putrid smell. She cannot stand to have the smell linger in her house long and whenever it is full, she has it removed immediately. Trash is not a beautiful object. It is a compilation of leftover items that nobody desired and food that has gotten old and smelly. Yet, someone must dispose of this disgusting object to get rid of the noxious smell. These brave men, the garbage men, are those who work with this nauseating smell daily and dispose of the items that we do not care for anymore.
Garbage collectors are people that are rarely thought about on a day to day basis. We get upset when they arrive late to pick up the trash and yet, we do not appreciate them when they are on time. They are required to wake up before the crack of dawn and work strenuous hours going around to hundreds of houses. Trash can be messy when the bag rips or it can be extremely heavy. These men can hurt their ligaments if they pick up a heavy trash bag incorrectly or if the item is too large to fit into the back of the garbage truck.
Then after collecting all of the unwanted items, the garbage men must take it back to “the dump” where other trucks are offloading their take as well. This creates a terrible stench because of multiple garbage trucks dumping gigantic loads of smelly trash in one place. The men have to go through a mountain of garbage and sort out items that can be recycled like paper or plastic. They also need to pick out any items that do not decompose naturally. A lot of the trash goes to a landfill which is basically a way of burying trash. This creates years of smelly garbage which the “dirty man” has to go back to every day.
The “dirty man” is an example of an unsung hero. They get little praise and barely receive credit when it is due. However, they perform one of the most necessary jobs that a modern economy needs to function. Without garbage disposal, trash would be everywhere like in the streets, in the woods, and in the home. By having garbage men, they take care of this problem. However, they do so humbly and without recognition. Men like these are the real day-to-day heroes of the world. They work a job that most would not because the job could be considered too revolting. These few men work the dirty job and make the United States of America one of the most successful and clean nations in the world.