Unsung Hero: Dr. B Saved Me

BrittanyViele
Brittany Viele
Mrs. Flesch
College Reading and Writing Honors
8 January 2015
Unsung Hero: Dr. B Saved Me
Every person has a different definition of the word “hero”. According to Dictionary.com, an unsung hero is a “person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution; a person whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged”. Throughout my life I always thought heroes wore a cape and saved people from a building engulfed in flames. In January 2013, someone very special came into my life. They weren’t famous or someone you read about in the newspaper but they impacted me greatly, becoming my unsung hero. This special person was a doctor, who went by the name Dr. B.
Prior to January 2013, I began loosing feeling in my right leg and soon lost the ability to walk. It was a shocking experience that had many doctors scratching their heads. No one had seen this happen to a girl at the age of 15, but typically in older people. After a great amount of testing, Dr. B diagnosed me with foot drop, due to a severely damaged nerve and swelling in my right leg. At the time I was a competitive Dancer, which in combination with school, became a huge part of my life. I had to stop dancing and wasn’t sure if I would be able to return. Aside from fear, I was angry and wanted my life to go back to normal. Throughout my journey, Dr. B was always by my side, reminding me to stay strong and positive.
Dr. B was an unsung hero because of the qualities she possessed and importance she held in my life. She displayed a sense of kindness and care, giving me hope in recovery. As time progressed, physical therapy continued, along with Dr. B’s small acts of kindness. Aside from the acts of kindness and care, Dr. B was extremely positive and determined that one day I would be able to return to dance. I remember when she told me “look how far you’ve come” and her constant reminders that this small problem wouldn’t hold me back from my bright future. Her determination helped me stay positive and have hope in recovery. Although I hadn’t realized how special this person was at the time, looking back I realize how much credibility this person deserved. She helped me through one of the hardest times in my life and for that I would consider her an amazing unsung hero.