Unsung Hero

Acoll812
Aaron Collins
Mrs. Flesch
College Reading and Writing
30 January 2015
The Unsung Hero: John R. Fox
The dictionary defines an unsung hero as “a person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution; a person whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged.” These are the people who do small heroic acts that can have a tremendous imp act on people’s lives. These people are around us every day, but we may not know it. They do not commit these acts for the fame and for the glory such as the character Beowulf. Rather they do it for the emotions gained from helping others out selflessly.
John R. Fox was a soldier in the American army in World War 2. Fox realized that the German troops were overrunning his troop’s position. He and a few other soldiers stayed behind in the second story of a building to hold the forces back. In order to delay the German forces long enough for American troops to regroup and counter attack, Fox ordered an airstrike on his position because there were German soldiers all around him. His selflessness in giving up his life gave his forces enough time to regroup and launch a counter attack and retake that city. He gave his life just for the cause of saving the town they were in. The little thing that made a big impact on many people cost him his most valuable possession.
An unsung hero is a courageous valor, with compassion in his/ her actions. They hold the qualities to face the challenges that others might not be so popular to do however great or small, that has the biggest impact on those around them. These actions could be as simple as giving a dollar to a begging child to sacrificing the gift of life for the life of others. No matter how extreme or simple, these unsung heroes all hold the same qualities that unite them.
The thought that it is the little things that make life is in opinion the mindset of a true unsung hero. John R. Fox gave his life for a little town that had a prodigious impact on the wellbeing of the rest of his company. This man has probably never been recognized by the majority of the people he fought to protect. The great part about his legacy is that he knew he probably wouldn’t become famous because of his actions, but he did it because he knew the cost of losing his ground, so instead of fleeing he did what ninety percent of us could not do, and hold our ground and sacrifice our life.
Unsung heroes deserve their title because they do not do it for the praise, for the glory, or for the fame. They don’t seek out the spotlight for their actions, but rather it is the little things that impact their lives like the emotions they gain, or the friends they make.