Unsung Hero: The Cheerlebrity

Savanahhrae
Anyone that has had any look into the cheer world has a favorite athlete, or what we call, a “cheerlebrity”. They have exceled in the sport and people aspire to be like them one day. My little sister’s name is Makenna, and she is on the path to becoming one of these people. Makenna is not a typical child, but through her drive and dedication she has overcome many obstacles and really thrived in the sport.
At the age of five Makenna had already been diagnosed with Asperger’s, which is a form of Autism, Sensory Integration disorder, dyspraxia, selective mutism disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, which are just fancy names of things that make growing up a lot harder. As a result of all of these things at the age of seven the doctors told my parents that she now had childhood depression and they believed it was time to medicate her. From the start my parents were against just covering up her problems with medication so they decided that they would do their best to help Makenna without it.
Around this time I was on a competitive cheer team and Makenna was always at my practices. One day she said she wanted to try it and my mom was really nervous it because of all of her differences. Little did she know that Makenna would soon excel and become one of the best cheerleaders in her age division. Through out the years she attended many different gyms with many coaches that all helped her overcome obstacles. As a result of cheer, when Makenna was eight she graduated occupational therapy, which she was in from the time, she was two years old.
Makenna now attends a gym in Miami, Top Gun All stars, which is the best- known gym in the state of Florida. She is on the highest level allowed for her age and she gets better every day. Makenna is now a role model for all of the younger athletes that she has come into contact with. They all see that she is so young but she is as good as the senior division girls, so with hard work and dedication they too can become a “cheerlebrity”. She is not known around the world yet, but without a doubt if she keeps working like she is know one day she will inspire athletes all through the nation.
Many people saw Makenna’s differences as a disadvantage, but she showed them wrong and used it to her advantage. She may not have been able to hold a conversation with her teammates, but that meant more training time for her and less distractions. Makenna not only over came the obstacles that stood in her way of success, but she aspires others every day and will continue to do so through her abilities. To her this is not just a sport, but it is something that she could literally not live without. To the average person, Makenna is not that big of a deal, but to the young athletes they thrive to one day be like her, she is their cheer hero.