Unsung Hero: Loving The Enslaved

sydneykmorris
My father isn’t a good man. He’s irrational, easily aggravated, undeniably selfish, and yet somehow when I read the essay assignment of an unspoken hero, his name was the first name that popped into my mind, and I’ll tell you why— Brandon. Brandon was an old friend my father had known when he was in his wild youth. They both had gotten along sure, but their friendship wasn’t one that you’d read in a storybook or inspirational film. They kept in touch through mutual friends and occasional reunions. Considering the environment in which they both grew up, downtown New Orleans, drug use and alcohol abuse was socially acceptable, encouraged. Needless to say, the both of them inevitably fell into it.
My father, who struggles with bipolar disorder, somehow managed to not allow a drug enslave him due to his constant mood fluctuations and change of mind towards the drug(s). However, Brandon wasn’t so fortunate. He grew an addiction to a mixture of amphetamines that affected him so much so that it affected they way he thought and behaved. He pursued disillusioned acts that displayed severe insanity. He lost all of his family and friends stemming from irremediable trust issues. The only friend he had was his drug induced schizophrenia and illusions.
After being abandoned from his family, Brandon dabbled in the irrationality of himself, progressively becoming more self-destructive. Refusing to face society in fear that they were all out to get him, he lived a lonely life. He made illusions in his mind of being stalked by a murderous psychiatrist who took on the form of numerous people and of himself raping children; truly believing that they were valid. Unbeknownst to my father, Brandon was on the brink of suicide, isolating himself from society. My father eventually got word from Brandon’s mother that he wasn’t in New Orleans anymore and addicted.
My dad decided to find him. Searched all social medias, called his old phone number in hopes of an answer, and as a result traced him by word of mouth. Turns out Brandon had moved to Florida and was living in a foreclosed home he had for years. My dad drove and picked him up. My dad, being a business owner, gave him a job (working on side of him everyday), a place to live, food, rehab, medical care, and simply the most valuable— friendship. He encouraged him coming from a relatable perspective, considering he struggles with mental inabilities himself. They reminisced about child memories and both managed to get by through their compatibility. I said before that my father is undeniably selfish. Even in the irony of it all, he did one of the most selfless thing a man can do— love. My dad saved Brandon’s life and no one knows apart from my mother and me. He didn’t do it vain; he did it because, even in his imperfections, he decided to take a risk and love the unloveable.