Unsung Hero: My Horses

meganderleth
While walking in my yard after letting one of my horses out I see it eating grass by the barn. I continue cleaning out the horse trailer, and then suddenly sense something behind me. I glance over my shoulder and see my horse right behind me. It never fails that they always come up, and greet me with their unique personalities. They are always there to keep life interesting, and know how to put a smile on my face.
Heroes are found in every person’s life, whether others know it or not. These heroes can play a big or small role in a person’s life, whether being a human or not. My horses are my unsung heroes, giving me a sense of calmness and relaxation. After a rough day I can go out to the quiet barn, away from the hectic things in life, and immediately have weights lifted off my shoulder. They always come up and greet me loudly, making it known that they know I am there. My relationship with my horses is always the same. Even if we do not do our best at a Barrel Race, I am always encouraged that I still have the opportunity to improve with my horse.
Through horses you learn patience. After all they are animals, and do not always cooperate they way you want them to. They can test your patience, and you can decide how to react. Because of my love for these animals I have a strong bond with them. They trust me to simple things like ride them, and even loading them in the horse trailer. Wherever I ask them to go, or whatever I tell them to do, they will do it with my guidance.
With having three horses I have learned responsibility. Horses have taught me that everything in life does not come easily. I work hard to compete in shows that I do, and qualify for world championships. Every day I feed and take care of my horses, which takes a lot of time and dedication. I also learn sacrifice of other things in my life with having horses, because of them taking up so much of my time and interest.
With out horses in my life I would not have their calm and relaxing nature to keep me sane. I would not have as much patience, because with them I have to show a lot of it. I even would not know the real idea behind responsibility without going out to the barn every day to take care of them, and sacrifice to be able to compete with them.