Unsung Hero: Best Friend Since Day One

goalexgomez
On March 21, 1997 in St. Mary’s Hospital I entered this world. Little did I know that four days later, a few rooms down the hall, my best friend and soon to be unsung hero was to be born as well. Both of our moms went to the same women’s group at church, and they met and became quite good friends. This led to them getting together and hanging out a lot, which meant that Casey and I would hang out along with them.
By the time I was a 1-year-old, Casey and I had already developed a good friendship. Although there wasn’t much I can remember about it my mom always said that we were as close to twins as we could be. We acted the same, enjoyed the same things, looked alike, and always wanted to hang out. We never have gone to the same school, so just about every weekend we have gotten together and played basketball, baseball, football, swam, or done anything that young guys would want to do with their best friend.
One of my most outstanding memories of our friendship was when we were both 12 years old, and we were playing flag football for JTAA and both of our teams were in the championship. He and I were matched up on offense and defense. Throughout the game we were laughing and talking, and the very last play of the game our team was down by six points, I was playing quarterback, and it was a designed run play. I broke away, and I just had him to beat and I remember laughing as I was running at him and he was doing the same thing. I got past him and broke the run for a touchdown and we won the game, and to this day whenever I go to his house or he comes over we both still have our trophies from that year and we always look at it and laugh because mine is just a little bit bigger.
People who hang around us for the first time probably think that we are brothers in the way we act with each other. We bicker, hit each other, we are both always bouncing off the walls with energy, and we talk to each other like we are brothers. We also love each other like brothers. Whenever something happens in either of our lives, the first person we each go to is one another. No matter what is going on we both will be 100% willing to do whatever we can to make it better for each other. Even though we fight and argue a lot it doesn’t matter, because at the end of the day we both have each others back, and that is why I consider him my unsung hero.