Unsung Hero: A mother's love

bhawkins22
“But mom I don’t want to go” is what me and my privileged sister would scream every time my mom would try to drag us to another event to help people in need. However our screaming and complaining could never break my mother. She would usually come back with something like this “you too are so lucky, to have what you have, and to be so blessed by God that our family is not in situation like the family’s you’re about to see today”. I realize now that she was right. I also have discovered that my mom did everything in her power to improve the lives of others in need.
As a child my mother founded a non-profit organization called Holding Hands. The organization would travel around our local community and help people who were struggling financially, homeless or suffering from drug abuse. My mother created holding hands when I was 11 years old, I am now 18 and she still hasn’t stopped serving the needy. As I child I did not realize the significance that my mom had on these peoples lives. My mother did everything from just simply having a conversation with something to doing a complete restoration on a family’s home. Yes her and her organization did an entire house flip for a local family. The replaced all of the grass, painted the house supplied not only outside furniture but inside as well. They re painted every wall inside replaced all the dishes, cups, silverware the whole nine yards. The local news even did a live broadcast from the house. This all was able to happen because of my mother and the fact that she did it not for self pleasure but too see the looks of the kids faces when they went into their new rooms where they know had actual beds instead of just a mattress on the floor, is simply just amazing.
What amazes me to this day is that my mother is probably the most fearless woman on this planet. She is not afraid to drive into the sketchiest streets of our hometown. To be able to go into these streets where people are shot almost every day is an act of bravery. But to get out of the car and talk to these people is a heroic act within itself.
My mother is my unsung hero with out a doubt. She has thought me to love myself but to also love others. To me that is probably one of the most important life lessens. I am grateful that my mother was able to teach me that at such a young age. Without my mother my outlook on life would be completely different and I would definitely not have the morals and values I posses today.