Unsung Hero: A Mother’s Nurture

Steflasher
You could hear the tapping of nervous feet on the ground and see the sadness on the faces of others who were waiting to hear whether their loved ones were alive or had passed. I was one of these people waiting to hear the outcome of what would happen to my mother. Two years ago, my mother was diagnosed with stage four melanoma (A type of skin cancer). Going through the minds of most people, including myself is the fact that when someone has a stage four cancer, there is usually no hope, no way to overcome it, and no cure. However, my mother could easily be defined as the opposite rather a believer; someone who doesn’t let the most difficult situations bring her down and her positive outlook on life.
She started her aggressive treatment right after being diagnosed. Walking into her room, I could easily depict that she was in a great amount of pain; however, she would never tell anyone that because she wanted to be strong, especially strong for my brothers and I. At the time I would have considered myself a very selfish person, not really caring about anything or anyone else but myself. I struggled with the idea that my mother would put her family before herself. I mean my mom was going through more treatments and surgeries, then most people ever have to go through in their whole lives and we were her main focus. I’ll never understand how. She cared for others because she was never cared for and she wanted to help others when she was the one that needed the most help. She got more satisfaction helping others than herself.
After all of her treatment, she wanted to help children who were struggling with all different matters of life including abuse, poverty, and loneliness. She started a youth football organization and used her own money to pay for anything these kids needed. When some of the kids had nowhere to stay, she would take them in. When some of the kids wanted a better life and education, she would find a way to send them to private school. When some of the kids got in trouble at school she would be the one to go and get them out of it and try to teach them good from bad.
My mother is without a doubt is my unsung hero because of what she is willing to do for others. She taught me what love really was, not just the love that everyone jokes about, but what love is truly defined as. She taught me strength not the big muscles type of strength, but having the mental strength to endure the ongoing fight. She taught me to be positive, hoping there was a solution to every problem. Now I strive to be like Dana Lasher my forever-unsung hero.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Unsung Hero essay being selected as one of our top 10 teen essays for our January writing contest.

To view all the results of our January 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after February 28th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed by Thursday.

Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 2:44:09 PM

We have tallied our results and your essay is a Runner up in our January 2015 Unsung Hero teen writing contest. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing your story on Stageoflife.com and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Stageoflife Co-founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:49:11 PM