Unsung Hero: My Grandpa, an Angel in the Dark

jpalumbo
My Grandpa is one-of-a-kind. I have never known, and never will know, someone quite like him. No one will ever have his original sleep schedule; no one will always be "The Same". "How are you, Grandpa?", I'll ask. His answer is always "The Same". I've never had anyone else answer in that way. I'll never know anyone with his ever-present sense of humor. He wears it high and proud, my Grandpa. But what stands out the most is not his late-night wanderings, or his ever-ready laugh. No, it's something much more special. Something even more important than his way of seeing the bright side of everything. Something he's got is really rare, and it marks him as my Unsung Hero.

His Heart. My Grandpa's heart is like no other. In the midst of all his problems he is ALWAYS ready to help. I can't think of a time that he hasn't offered help, when he is able.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to help, but not in the same way as Grandpa. You don't even have to ask for his help. He notices a need, and jumps on it; and that's not easy because Grandpa has had his share of health issues. Unfortunately, some have left him a little unsteady; somewhat off-balance. This kind of thing would throw most people off, literally and figuratively, but it never seems to bother Grandpa. No, he pushes right along; pushes right through.

At one point, these issues required more care than we could give, so Grandpa had to move into an assisted living home. While he was there, he met and befriended many older people who were without much family. Since then, he's moved back home, but he has never once forgotten about his friends there. To this day, he goes out and buys special things for them, to show them someone does care. Moving at his own pace, he visits these lonely people, going out of his way to support them.

That's just how he is. I sometimes doubt that he takes as good care of himself as he takes of them! Every birthday, every holiday, you can be sure that Grandpa's got something special for them. What touches me so much is that he does it so secretly. Very few people even know. It's his "secret" and it gives him so much joy. Quietly, unnoticed, he slips out into the dark of night and makes his stops; picking things up, dropping things off, sharing smiles and laughter.

It's people like my Grandpa, who do the smallest things with the greatest love, that are our world's Unsung Heroes.

This is my shout-out to my Grandpa, Roger Blum, an Angel in the Dark, and my Unsung Hero.