Unsung Hero: My Father’s Acts of Valor

Bryan
Unsung Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. My personal hero is six feet tall with blonde hair, blue eyes and drives a Harley. However, when not driving a Harley, he is driving a fire truck. His name is Jim McGlynn, and he is my father.
My dad is a man of valor. There have been many times in his life where he has displayed great courage in the face of danger. When I was just a little boy, one night, I said goodbye to my father. That night there was a huge fire in an apartment complex in Fort Lauderdale. When the firefighters arrived on the scene, most of the occupants were already safe on the street. Suddenly, the firefighters heard a mother weeping and wailing, “my baby, my baby is still inside the building.” In an instant, my dad charged into the burning building, up three flights of stairs and faced death to save a child. He found the baby in the crib surrounded by smoke and flames. He quickly took the little girl in his arms and protected her; then the two of them made the journey through blazing fire to safety. When my dad and the baby walked out of the building, the mother dropped to the ground in tears and hugged my Father's feet, thanking him. My dad placed the baby in her Mother's arms and for him, it was just an ordinary work n`ight. My dad to most people is just “Jim” who drives a fire truck for a living. My dad possesses the qualities of courage, bravery, and selflessness. This is just one story, but there is another.
I-95 in South Florida, in Palm Beach County, is one of the most dangerous sections of highway in the country. One afternoon around 2 o'clock, my father was called to an accident on I-95 off of Hypoluxo Road. When he arrived at the scene, a sixteen-year-old girl was mangled and trapped inside her unrecognizable Toyota Corolla. The jaws of life are a huge tool that firefighters use to save people from cars and collapsed buildings. He removed her from the car with the precision of a surgeon. That was ten years ago. This past Christmas, Tina was at our house with her two children and her husband. If it were not for my father, that family would not exist.
Firefighters are everyday heroes. Every day, they go to work and are expected to lay down their life for another. When my father became a firefighter he knew the job requirements and chose to be one anyway. I am grateful to my dad and his fellow firefighters throughout the world. Tina and her family are just one example of how the saving of one life saves many. It is impossible to count or know how many people alive today are here because of a firefighter.