STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: My Father’s Acts of Valor

Bryan
Unsung Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. My personal hero is six feet tall with blonde hair, blue eyes and drives a Harley. However, when not driving a Harley, he is driving a fire truck. His name is Jim McGlynn, and he is my father.
My dad is a man of valor. There have been many times in his life where he has displayed great courage in the face of danger. When I was just a little boy, one night, I said goodbye to my father. That night there was a huge fire in an apartment complex in Fort Lauderdale. When the firefighters arrived on the scene, most of the occupants were already safe on the street. Suddenly, the firefighters heard a mother weeping and wailing, “my baby, my baby is still inside the building.” In an instant, my dad charged into the burning building, up three flights of stairs and faced death to save a child. He found the baby in the crib surrounded by smoke and flames. He quickly took the little girl in his arms and protected her; then the two of them made the journey through blazing fire to safety. When my dad and the baby walked out of the building, the mother dropped to the ground in tears and hugged my Father's feet, thanking him. My dad placed the baby in her Mother's arms and for him, it was just an ordinary work n`ight. My dad to most people is just “Jim” who drives a fire truck for a living. My dad possesses the qualities of courage, bravery, and selflessness. This is just one story, but there is another.
I-95 in South Florida, in Palm Beach County, is one of the most dangerous sections of highway in the country. One afternoon around 2 o'clock, my father was called to an accident on I-95 off of Hypoluxo Road. When he arrived at the scene, a sixteen-year-old girl was mangled and trapped inside her unrecognizable Toyota Corolla. The jaws of life are a huge tool that firefighters use to save people from cars and collapsed buildings. He removed her from the car with the precision of a surgeon. That was ten years ago. This past Christmas, Tina was at our house with her two children and her husband. If it were not for my father, that family would not exist.
Firefighters are everyday heroes. Every day, they go to work and are expected to lay down their life for another. When my father became a firefighter he knew the job requirements and chose to be one anyway. I am grateful to my dad and his fellow firefighters throughout the world. Tina and her family are just one example of how the saving of one life saves many. It is impossible to count or know how many people alive today are here because of a firefighter.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy