Unsung Hero: The "Baby Box"

melloswideworld
Hero: a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities

Ever since humans have existed, heroes have been described as strong beings who slay monsters or outwitted gods. Heroes have been geniuses such as Albert Einstein, Great Leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr, and artists such as Beethoven and Frida Kahlo.

This hero however, is neither strong nor an artist. He is however, a compassionate human being who cares about the well-being of helpless babies who are abandoned by their parents due to reasons such as being physically or mentally handicapped or just unwanted by their mothers.
Pastor Lee Jong-rak saw a crisis in Korea. Babies were being left on the streets to die.

So, to give babies a chance at life, he created the baby box. A box with thick toweling on the bottom with lights and heating to make sure the baby is comfortable, and a simple sign that reads, “Place to leave babies.” He spends his time taking care of these babies with the help of volunteers. He does not get paid, he does not receive fame, and he can not be thanked for his selflessness, yet he gets up every day and checks a box for babies. Yet he does a job his government should be doing.

The reason I look up to this man, is not because he is saving babies, but because he has the heart to even think about doing so. As humans, we tend to not think about our own blood and flesh as we should. We ignore each other, forgetting we are all the same. This man, not only saves a baby, but gives a helpless soul a chance at life. And he, I feel, should be considered a hero and given a spotlight. A hero should be someone who remembers that we are all the same. A hero should be selfless, compassionate, a true human. And Pastor Lee Jong-rak is a hero, a true one.