STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Heroes: Of warmth, will and wisdom- Bari Maa

DiyaKundu99
Siliguri, West Bengal, India

Within few short weeks following the night of her wedding, my grandmother knew that she had made the worst mistake of her life. Her husband and in-laws had stated that her bread and water was not their concern. Months happened before she came to accept that dreams she had dreamed of having a happy married life had been shattered. Lying on the cold steps of the stairway of her own house, she decided at last to visit the nearby school to inquire if there was need for a language teacher. And that’s how it all began. From reading to the girls their first Tagore poem when they first joined as shy fourteen year olds, to discussing with them democratic philosophies as they graduated as unafraid thinkers; from lining flower pots with the gardener, to representing the school faculty in State Board meetings- hers was an insatiable, irrevocable thirst to make her institution a temple of knowledge the underprivileged called home. Her monthly salary of merely 167 rupees was always enough somehow, even after paying the fees of some of her students if their families couldn't. Extra classes were held at her house during her husband’s absence. Behen ji or ‘dear sister’ as the school mates called her, well knew that most girls were born to illiterate parents who would have been much happier had they stayed at home looking after younger siblings. And throughout four decades of association, Rajendra Prasad Girls’ High School was her, Shubhra Pal Chowdhury Kundu's platform for rewriting their destinies.

My mother narrates memories of childhood-she remembers her mother herself cooking for hundreds of poor people on festivals. Wondering how she brought up two children alone while selflessly serving the world in every way it allowed, I marvel at the unbreakable, unsinkable spirit that fills her being. To her, it’s all the blessings of a Supreme Power, her faith in which is infinite.

These days, at the age of eighty-three, on her own she hosts health camps and cultural events in my grandfather’s estates; villages where there is not a single household with a toilet. Villagers are given medicines and told the essentials of maintaining good health. They enjoy music performances, theatrical displays, a delicious supper too. At the training centres my grandmother has opened, volunteers are teaching them the written language, equipping them with vocational skills, raising their awareness about vital issues.

Hundreds of miles from where I write, thousands of miles from where you read, in these small villages, ‘Bari Maa’, or the ‘experienced mother’, as we call her, has made space for a million smiles. In me and hundred others, she has awakened goodness, inspired greatness; she stands as idol and hero for us all. As I tell her story, I revisit times we spent together and I find my eyes getting misty. Suddenly at half past ten, my cell phone rings.

“Did you have dinner?” asks a voice worriedly. It’s she.

Tears come rolling down. I am not ashamed.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy