My Unsung Hero: The Parents of The 'Abnormal'

EdenVMcGee
Angela Drown walks into the room with a wide grin on her face. She slowly twists around in a circle, displaying her ballet costume, which accompanies her brand new ice skates. Angela's mom smiles softly and signs to her twenty-four year old daughter; “Not today, it’s only the beginning of fall.” Angela cocks her head to one side, trying to understand, then trustingly takes off the skates. They walk into the bedroom together and put the ice skates on the shelf. Mrs. Drown pulls down Angela's cowgirl boots and signs, "Horseback riding instead?"
This scene portrays the life of Mrs. Drown, a mother who has six children, including Angela, her precious daughter, born deaf and autistic. Angela’s communication is limited to sign language and lipreading. There are numerous differences between Angela and a normal young adult, yet when witnessing the mother-daughter relationship, it seems as if nothing were missing.
Angela lives in a silent world, with very few people to communicate with.
Most people would think her life would be insecure and difficult. After all, she can’t speak, has a feeding tube, and she will never leave her parents care to start a life of her own. However, those disabilities are overshadowed by one thing: the care and love she receives from her mom. When Angela fails to understand something, she looks to Mrs. Drown to help her, and when she has a need, her mom is there to care for it. Her mother’s unconditional love and care surpasses the difficulties of being different.
One of my greatest heroes is Mrs. Drown, who strives to love, teach, and care for Angela. Soldiers, nurses, and teachers are all prime examples of heroes but I think Angela’s mom deserves just as much credit. I’ve seen parents of disabled children fight like soldiers, care for their child as well as a nurse, and teach amazing and inspiring lessons to their kids. The greatest unsung heroes are the ones who sacrifice everything for their ‘abnormal’ children.