Unsung hero: My grandfather's legacy

anna27
When most people think of the term “hero,” perhaps the first thought to pop into their mind is someone who wears a cape, has supernatural powers, and that fights crime in the dead of the night to right the injustices of ordinary civilians everywhere. However, when I am met with this word, my mind envisions my grandfather whom wore no cape, possessed no supernatural powers, and didn’t fight villains the way that superman would, but despite all of that, he was still superman to my sister and I. Before continuing on, I should give you a bit of background information about what made my grandfather so special to my sister and me, and of course what constitutes him as an “unsung hero.” My grandfather was an emergency medical technician for many years before my sister and I were born. The entire time he served the rescue squad, he had the highest call response record of anyone there. Through his experience of being an EMT, he was able to help a lot of people at their worst times. Although I have heard many acts of bravery, one of them that I heard from my grandmother was that he delivered a baby on the way to the hospital. Upon hearing this, I began to realize that my grandfather was far more special than I could have ever imagined. Even after he was no longer an EMT, he still continued to be a hero. In fact, if you ask me, most of his heroism occurred after he left the rescue squad. A few heroic things that my grandfather did are: take care of both of his parents as their health declined, helping anyone with something as simple as lending them his tools and his time, to something as complex as suturing a dog that was hit by a car for a friend. All of my life and all of my grandfather’s life, he took care of people, putting other’s needs far above his own. Even when my grandfather was diagnosed with leukemia, and had to undergo countless sessions of radiation, he still continued to take care of the people around him. If my sister or I were sick, he went to the drugstore immediately, never stopping to examine his own feelings. Then, later in life when he developed Alzheimer’s disease, he still was just as independent as before. Although he had a disease that affected his memory, he never forgot to let me and my sister know how much we meant to him. Even his last act in this world was a selfless and heroic one. As he was passing away in the hospital, he held mine and my sister’s hand and told us how special we were to him and how much he loved us. As he was in the hospital bed, he was still thinking of my sister and I. Even after his death, it still seems that he is taking care of us.