Unsung Hero: A Voice for the Anonymous Soldier

Samdell100

A stable future for me in this world is being fought for. I imagine someone of medium size, no number of inches in particular. Brown eyes always come to mind; a scar here and there as proof of a hard war fought. And always, always, they are unfamiliar to me. I try to put a voice to this unknown person, but the voice does not come. I choose to use my own voice to speak what they cannot say, and call on the anonymous soldier as my Unsung Hero.

Although we, the country being fought for, sometimes show military appreciation, there is a lack in support of the unnamed soldier. Many return home after a long tour and find themselves in worse situations than when they had left. Many are subject to PTSD and a large number of financial companies don’t give a hoot about their situation, being unsympathetic to their needs. It’s difficult to come home and realize a country you fought for isn’t fighting for you.

For this reason, I try to show my true gratitude by participating in events that express how much I truly am thankful for those who battle for a country of united strangers. What better way is there to show what someone means to you than by giving your all in support, the same as the one fighting for you? I admire the soldier who bravely faces the problems of an entire country, and carries the will to keep those back home safe. They are heroes, however, recognized they are not.

In any event, my future is being protected by someone who does not know me. They most definitely have a name, and probably don’t think twice about the struggle they endure to ensure the safety of our home. As a result of their efforts, I don’t have to worry about half the complications that may threaten my upcoming opportunities in life. Because of this, I want my country to recognize my Unsung Hero; an unknown soldier who won’t go unnamed for long.