Unsung Hero: My Great Grandmother’s Survival

snizmarkovitz

Ninety two years after her birth, she gently flips the pages of a family tree scrapbook. It’s scribbled with blessings, with jokes, little notes of admirations; testimonials to her accomplishments.
A matriarch.
We wonder if she comprehends the magnitude of her brave actions, the generous contribution that her mere existence still serves as for the entire family.
In the colorful pages we had designed for her, a lifetime is held still in picture frames and detailed descriptions. She is our very roots, what holds the tree together, shapes each branch, fuels life into the crispy leaves.
Years ago, when the world was still moist with fear and remorse from WWII, she had marched alone to a new land. She was sixteen, and full of life. One by one her family had been plucked away by Nazi rule, yet she was full of life. So alone, she marched to a new land. Alone, she started anew.
My great grandmother, not praised for her bravery or heroic act of creating a legacy for herself and her people, sits in her fifty year old, two bedroom home, and flips through pages of happiness and misery.
Most of the time, she is alone in this house. Her offsprings had moved off and dispersed like liquid, visiting when convenient. Her grandchildren and great grandchildren will be forced to sit down and listen to her words of pure wisdom, her vibrant story, the way in which she lifted this broken plant and gave it new life.
So she put the past behind her, and she intricately built the foundation. Then, with sore arms, she firmly spread herself out to become the walls of this family, now exceeding the original capacity she had anticipated. Through storms she had kept up the ceiling on her bare back. She had swept the floors from any form of deformity. She had filled in the gaps for each and every single one of us, now an extension of her; her very twigs, leaves, and branches.
My great grandmother is our very soul; our matriarch. The noblest qualities are found in the wrinkles which serve as the rings of her trunk. The meticulous details engraved in her bark tell the fine tale of a survivor.
In a time where most trees had been burnt down to the core and turned into all but ashes, my great grandmother courageously extended life, through any cost.
Her branches compensate her sacrifice, her heartache. For that she is our hero.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Unsung Hero essay being selected as one of our top 10 teen essays for our January writing contest.

To view all the results of our January 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after February 28th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed by Thursday.

Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 2:43:52 PM

We have tallied our results and your essay is a Runner up in our January 2015 Unsung Hero teen writing contest. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing your story on Stageoflife.com and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Stageoflife Co-founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:48:47 PM