Unsung Hero: The sister I never had

danielledisarlo
Many people choose family members as their heroes, and I am one of them, only, my hero isn't technically family. I call Erika my cousin, as I have for my entire life, but we're not actually related.

Our fathers met as children living on the same street in New York, and grew up together. They went to the same school, from kindergarten to twelfth grade, worked at the same restaurant for their first job, and they later met our moms, who just so happened to work at the same agency and be best friends as well.

My mom married my dad, Lisa married Joe, and somehow everyone ended up moving to Florida. My parents went to Orlando, and Lisa and Joe went to Port Charlotte, where Erika was born shortly after.

Because our families still keep in touch to this day, after nearly forty years of friendship, it' easier to call them 'uncle' and 'aunt' and 'cousin than explain the whole story.

Erika and I essentially grew up together, and because of that she's the sister I never had. She's three years older than I am, so although she has limited understanding of the world and what lies beyond it past college, she has vast knowledge of what I go through in high school, having experienced most of it herself fairly recently. Since I've started high school nearly four years ago, she's been the one person I go to when I require assistance or advice it comes to boys, college, stress, you name it. She's my voice of reason.

She's helped me with more trivial things too, like keeping up with celebrity gossip, discovering new music, how much fun makeup can be; everything an older sister teaches her younger sister. It was almost embarrassing how eager I was when I was younger to learn new things that "every teenage girl should know, Danielle."

That's not to say that our relationship is completely one-sided, with her giving pro tips and life advice to a socially awkward girl who can't do anything for herself, no. I make her laugh, show her all the best movies with the best looking cast, and offer advice when she finds herself in need of it. I've been told repeatedly by Erika that I'm wise beyond my years, which is still one of the nicest things I've ever heard about myself.

Erika is my unsung hero because even though we come from different parents, and different genes entirely, we get along like we're biological sisters. I tell people she's my cousin, but she is so much more. She is my sister, and the best friend I've ever had.