Unsung Hero: Little Does She Know

OdalisContreras
Unsung Hero: Little Does She Know
To many a hero is someone who rescues a drowning person in the lake, a person trapped in a burning building, or someone with mystical powers and a cape that allows them to soar across the sky. Although these descriptions of heroes stand out in our minds, we don't realize that there are heroes all around us who don't necessarily wear a cape, but demonstrate bravery, determination, selflessness, courage, and respect. My mother is the perfect description of a hero, but unfortunately she’s an unsung hero. My mother not only makes sacrifices for her family, but also everyone around her, yet she doesn't get the recognition she deserves.
My mother gives when she has nothing to give but will do anything in her power to provide what's needed. She puts others ahead of herself and never treats herself to a day off. She is always working hard to provide for her two daughters and two grandchildren because we are “her world.” Even with all the chaos around her, my mother puts on a poker face to insure her daughters that everything is okay, even when it’s not. If she is hurting, emotionally or physically, she will deal with it on her own because that’s just shows how strong of a woman she is.
Our family got to see the depth of my mother's bravery when she was diagnosed with cancer. Nobody was aware of the pain my mom was in nor did we expect the news that was presented to us. Like only my mother would do, 3 days after being hospitalized and presented with the diagnoses, she was back at work, working harder than ever. She said that now she had an even bigger purpose to stay alive. My mom pushes forward because she wants to see her grandchildren grow up. She will not let cancer define who she is, but she will let it be another obstacle that was thrown at her to make her and her faith even stronger.
Throughout this situation, I admired my mother's strength and ability to keep pushing forward. I was grateful for having a mother who is as strong as she is. Everyday I looked at her and wondered how she was pulling through. Ironically, my mother admired the strength she saw in me through this unfortunate situation and said that I am her rock who gives her the strength she needs, which shocked me. My mother doesn't realize that she will forever be my hero and the person I wish to be when I myself become a mother.