Unsung Hero: My Mom Forever

karina
My mom deserves a round of applause. She’s the reason I don’t starve, and why I have a place to call home. When originating decisions, she takes my opinions into consideration and is always there to listen. Saying thank you for the basic labors my mom does around the house, such as cleaning, washing and cooking, is not enough. Aside from being so hardworking, my mom is loving and caring. The way she doesn’t hesitate to buy me the things I need, really amazes me.

When my mom was thirty years old, she accepted Jesus as her one and only savior, and I admire her dedication to the church. When her church’s landlord raised the rent from $3,000 to $3,500,she used her fantastic cooking skills to help the church by making and selling food to raise money to cover the rent increase. Along with selling every sunday, every month they do a fundraiser open to the community to come and support. She goes from store to store to find the cheapest prices on crops. She always puts the food together and it’s the traditional ethnic foods she does such as tacos, pozole and tortas. Besides cooking the food she also has to cut up the ingredients that will be used or put on different type of meals. She’s so dedicated to making food for the church, even though what she does is behind the scenes and not in the spotlight for all to see. How nice would it be if she could just go the day of the fundraiser, buy food and eat in peace, but she doesn’t and that worthy of recognition.

At age 16, my mom immigrated to the U.S by herself to obtain enough money to build her mom a house in Mexico. I would’ve been scared to go alone, with no experience or knowledge about working. Luckily, my mom found a job where they showed her how to sew. That being, she proudly sent her mom money to build her a home. Now my grandma has her own house, a place to call home. As Ben Carson once said, “It's not what you do but that kind of job you do that makes the difference,” and this is what makes my mom an unsung hero.