STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: My Parents’ Sacrifices

Sergio H.
Unsung Hero: My Parents’ Sacrifices
I remember a time when my parents and I were going to church and we took the freeway. Getting off the off-ramp, we saw a homeless person and my dad had some oranges in the car and he offered him some and the man took them. That has shown me to be kind to others, and kindness will come back to me.
My parents work tirelessly and still try their ultimate best to give us a contented life. My mother is a housewife and she maintains the house to make sure it is clean every day. She is always doing some household chore around the house while I’m at school, but now that I am off of school for winter break, I help her clean the house to ease her workload. Every evening, my mother cooks dinner for my family and we wait until my father gets home from his work to eat together. My father works by himself at a muffler shop in which he owns and works from eight A.M. until six P.M. He used to have a partner to help him out at the job, but things didn’t work out so his partner quit. If my father was sick, he would rely on his partner to look after his shop, but now my father is forced to go to work. Although they don’t have any super powers to keep our family in check, both my parents still manage to never give up and push me and my siblings forward to reach our goals. That’s what makes them my unsung heroes.
By myself, I am not fully capable of pushing myself, but my parents are the ones who motivate me to reach further in life and succeed. They have taught me to get higher grades in school and I have achieved that. They raised me to respect others kindly and encourage others to try their absolute best. Now that I’m seventeen, I come to realize that I am the person that I am today because my parents have me shaped so.
Sacrifice is one of the many responsibilities that a parent can do for their family, and my parents sacrifice a lot of their personal time just to maintain the family and I am extremely grateful for that. I would imagine that taking care of three children to be tedious work, but my parents dealt with us and achieved to raise us with good manners.
I truly am grateful for all I have, and that’s because my parents knew that everything they did was for the best. As my father would say, “Everything happens for a reason, good or bad, don’t worry and try your best to get through it.” I take these words very seriously and I refer back to them whenever I feel that I need to. As A.P. Herbert once said, “An act of God was defined as something which no reasonable man could have expected.”
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy