Unsung Hero: My Parents’ Sacrifices

Sergio H.
Unsung Hero: My Parents’ Sacrifices
I remember a time when my parents and I were going to church and we took the freeway. Getting off the off-ramp, we saw a homeless person and my dad had some oranges in the car and he offered him some and the man took them. That has shown me to be kind to others, and kindness will come back to me.
My parents work tirelessly and still try their ultimate best to give us a contented life. My mother is a housewife and she maintains the house to make sure it is clean every day. She is always doing some household chore around the house while I’m at school, but now that I am off of school for winter break, I help her clean the house to ease her workload. Every evening, my mother cooks dinner for my family and we wait until my father gets home from his work to eat together. My father works by himself at a muffler shop in which he owns and works from eight A.M. until six P.M. He used to have a partner to help him out at the job, but things didn’t work out so his partner quit. If my father was sick, he would rely on his partner to look after his shop, but now my father is forced to go to work. Although they don’t have any super powers to keep our family in check, both my parents still manage to never give up and push me and my siblings forward to reach our goals. That’s what makes them my unsung heroes.
By myself, I am not fully capable of pushing myself, but my parents are the ones who motivate me to reach further in life and succeed. They have taught me to get higher grades in school and I have achieved that. They raised me to respect others kindly and encourage others to try their absolute best. Now that I’m seventeen, I come to realize that I am the person that I am today because my parents have me shaped so.
Sacrifice is one of the many responsibilities that a parent can do for their family, and my parents sacrifice a lot of their personal time just to maintain the family and I am extremely grateful for that. I would imagine that taking care of three children to be tedious work, but my parents dealt with us and achieved to raise us with good manners.
I truly am grateful for all I have, and that’s because my parents knew that everything they did was for the best. As my father would say, “Everything happens for a reason, good or bad, don’t worry and try your best to get through it.” I take these words very seriously and I refer back to them whenever I feel that I need to. As A.P. Herbert once said, “An act of God was defined as something which no reasonable man could have expected.”