STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: Coach's Advice

heyysophieee
I am a swimmer and a diver, but I am a better swimmer than diver because I have been doing that for longer. I started diving this year but I have been swimming for about seven years. Diving boards have always terrified me and I didn’t even attempt to jump off of one until last year. I don’t even know why I wanted to start diving because it’s still scary to me. At the beginning of the season I was just a swimmer but then Coach announced that there would be dive practice going on so I just randomly decided to go. The land workouts were easy but then we had to start using the board. I was petrified with fear. It was just a simple approach off of the board so I did it and then everything was fine for about two weeks after that because we were still working on the same thing. But then we moved on to back dives and those were terrifying because of the way that we had to do the lay outs. You have to fall back into the pool while arching your back and keeping tight. That is terrifying because you have to trust yourself to not hit the board and to not splat your back on the water because that hurts terribly. I eventually got over that fear though. But then we moved on again and we were learning how to do just a basic dive off of the board with an approach. I was terrified the most of this because you have to make sure you stay tight because you could seriously damage your shoulder and you can face plant into the water. Neither of those options sound fun to me. So I went to the board and stood on my starting spot for about five minutes to get my courage and when I thought I was ready I did my approach and when I went for the dive I panicked and looked like a starfish when I entered the water. It didn’t hurt too badly though. I did this a couple of times but then the coach called me over. She gave me the best advice I have ever received.
All she said was “The only thing that is stopping you is you.”
This advice changed how I perceived everything that I was scared of. I was the person being scared, the board wasn’t trying to scare me, the dive wasn’t trying to scare me, I was just scaring me. The next time that I went to dive I still messed it up, not because I was scared though, just because I realized that I didn’t know how to do the dive. So I learned how to do it and then I went to try it again. I’m still not very good at diving, but at least I have swimming to fall back on.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy