Unsung Hero: Giving to Those in Need

yarelir98
Daniel J. Boorstin once said “In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous.” To me my dad is my unsung hero because he has had many difficult obstacles and struggles throughout his life, however he has never given up and he has used that to make a difference in other people’s lives by helping them get their lives together. He gives to people who sometimes don't thank him and sometimes even criticize him, and he never asks for anything in return.
He was born in Mexico in a community where, in the first years of his life, he had no electricity and, not enough food. He went to work when he was just eleven. At age eighteen, he decided to come to the U.S to get a good job to give my grandma a better life. When he first arrived, he faced countless struggles since his own Father didn't want him to stay with him and he had no luck in finding another place. Finally my grandpa let him stay, with the exception that he was not going to help him in buying food, finding a job or showing him how to drive. When he grew older and married my mom in Mexico and after long years of waiting and working he finally was able to bring my mom, brother and me to California.
My dad knows how it feels to try to start a life with nothing but your hopes and dreams, so he has helped many friends and relatives to begin a new life in the U.S. He opens doors by giving them a free place to stay and helping them obtain work. Not many of the people he helps thank him, but he really doesn't care since he doesn't help them to receive something in return.
Each Christmas, we travel to Mexico, where he gives out goody bags, toys and, food, and plays banda for the children and parents. He started that tradition about eight years ago when he became aware that not all the kids received gifts for Christmas, so he wanted to give back to the community. Just last year, I heard some of the moms gossiping about my dad and questioning how he had obtained the money to do that each year. Rumors spread that he sold drugs to acquire the money, which of course is not true. No one quite understands how persistent and hardworking my dad really is. He works in construction, where he lifts considerable heavy objects that can damage his back and his knees, he gets paid well yet he is always saving up money for when we go to Mexico for Christmas.
I am thankful to have my dad who is a great role model to me and my brothers. And I hope he continues this tradition that shows people that you don't need to be famous or well known person to make a difference in peoples lives.