Unsung Hero: 30 for the Farm

karenp
Unsung Hero: 30 for the Farm
Even if you have never heard of the band “Foster the People,” you have probably heard their worldwide hit single, “Pumped Up Kicks.” Foster the People’s drummer, Mark Pontius, is an unsung hero. Although his drum beats definitely rock, excellent musicianship is not necessarily heroism. Although he has the money to party every day and live a charmed life, instead he invests in charitable organizations. Most notably, Mark is a big advocate for veganism and helps spread awareness of animal abuse.
Creating and advocating a fundraiser that supports an organization for animal rights has been a momentous part of Mark’s life. For his 30th birthday, instead of receiving gifts from fans, he requested that they all donate to a fundraiser benefiting Mercy for Animals, a non-profit organization that works to prevent cruelty to animals. In this campaign, people can donate to help reach the goal of $5,000 and could possibly receive a handmade gift from Mark as a ‘thank you’ for donating to the organization. So far, this campaign has been doing great and has already raised 43% of the goal as of January 12, 2015.
Mark has promoted this through his social media sites such as on his Twitter account with a following of nearly 4K with the help of the Foster the People Twitter account that has promoted his 30th birthday charity event to their over 800K followers. On his Twitter account, he also provides helpful resources for other organizations and even posts pictures of his cruelty free, animal approved shoes. Promoting awareness of animal cruelty is a positive way to keep them informed and can possibly be the spark that encourages other people to care more about this issue as it did for me. I have cared for the treatment of animals for a big part of my life and seeing a member of my favorite band also care so much about it has made me extremely happy.
To me one of the qualities of a hero is a person that can encourage others to do great things. Also, being selfless to help others and Mark has done both of these by raising awareness and spreading it also with his birthday fundraiser for Mercy for Animals. Sure his band has done great music chart wise, but what I feel they are doing even better is raising awareness and encouraging others to do the same. As Justin Cronin, author of The Summer Guest, said, “Real courage is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. Doing the unpopular thing because it's what you believe, and the heck with everybody.”