Unsung Hero: Overcoming the Odds

Rxcess35
Unsung Hero: Overcoming the Odds
“Did we miss the football game?”
“Yes, I think so.”
“Damn, looks like we have to watch the boring replays.”
Almost every football fan has experienced this disappointment. When you miss a game, you now know the final score, so the only consolation is to watch the broadcasters, as they typically read off what they are told, with little to no emotion, as if they are trying to breeze by the information as quickly as possible, just to arrive to the boring commercials that pay their salaries.
These things make life tedious and melancholy until one day, a vivid mind by the name of Stuart Scott came entered the sports broadcasting scene.
With Scott's First broadcast with ESPN in the 90’s everyone expected that Scott was going to be another dull broadcaster, however they were wrong. Not only did Scott do his job of giving us stats and updates, Scott gave his work a little flavor like adding catch phrases like the first existent of “Boo Yah!” and “Just call him butter, because he is on a roll!” Not only did Scott do the impossible of making TV watchable, but Scott took the extra step so that all football fans can relate to the emotion and excitement that he emits when broadcasting a single football game and other sporting events.
Unfortunately, Scott was diagnosed with Cancer in 2007. I imagine that the conversation went something like this: “Doc, you mean to tell me I have cancer? This can’t be true, I have a life ahead of me!” No matter who you are, what type of person you are, or whatever crazy thing you believe in, finding out that you have cancer can just bring your ego, self esteem, just you in general down. Despite hitting a roadblock in his life, Scott has metamorphosed the way American’s see Cancer as not a struggle, but a challenge when he said “ You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live”. Scott really was the game changer, but dismally, it was his final TV appearance.
Stuart Scott recently died on the 4th but during his short lived life, Scott has made an
impact on everybody's lives in all connections
he could probably get to you. In my own words, Stuart Scott was the real MVP, sacrificing every part of himself to entertain the ESPN viewers and many others, including myself. This is why he is truly, my unsung hero.
“ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought”
- Matsuo Basho