STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: Overcoming the Odds

Rxcess35
Unsung Hero: Overcoming the Odds
“Did we miss the football game?”
“Yes, I think so.”
“Damn, looks like we have to watch the boring replays.”
Almost every football fan has experienced this disappointment. When you miss a game, you now know the final score, so the only consolation is to watch the broadcasters, as they typically read off what they are told, with little to no emotion, as if they are trying to breeze by the information as quickly as possible, just to arrive to the boring commercials that pay their salaries.
These things make life tedious and melancholy until one day, a vivid mind by the name of Stuart Scott came entered the sports broadcasting scene.
With Scott's First broadcast with ESPN in the 90’s everyone expected that Scott was going to be another dull broadcaster, however they were wrong. Not only did Scott do his job of giving us stats and updates, Scott gave his work a little flavor like adding catch phrases like the first existent of “Boo Yah!” and “Just call him butter, because he is on a roll!” Not only did Scott do the impossible of making TV watchable, but Scott took the extra step so that all football fans can relate to the emotion and excitement that he emits when broadcasting a single football game and other sporting events.
Unfortunately, Scott was diagnosed with Cancer in 2007. I imagine that the conversation went something like this: “Doc, you mean to tell me I have cancer? This can’t be true, I have a life ahead of me!” No matter who you are, what type of person you are, or whatever crazy thing you believe in, finding out that you have cancer can just bring your ego, self esteem, just you in general down. Despite hitting a roadblock in his life, Scott has metamorphosed the way American’s see Cancer as not a struggle, but a challenge when he said “ You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live”. Scott really was the game changer, but dismally, it was his final TV appearance.
Stuart Scott recently died on the 4th but during his short lived life, Scott has made an
impact on everybody's lives in all connections
he could probably get to you. In my own words, Stuart Scott was the real MVP, sacrificing every part of himself to entertain the ESPN viewers and many others, including myself. This is why he is truly, my unsung hero.
“ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought”
- Matsuo Basho
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy