Unsung Hero: High Schoolers

Mariah White
Why do we love superheroes so much? For high school students, the answer is often “Because they’re awesome.” And they are, to be sure, but if you take a look at many comics, the heroes aren’t always taking down supervillains, or even regular villains. In modern comics, there are a lot of battles against depression and villains who reveal themselves to be relatives—and is it so easy to take down someone who’s committed heinous crimes when you find out you grew up with them? But superheroes are always ultimately successful, it seems. Even when they die fighting the good fight, they die successful in their last endeavor. And seeing someone who does the right thing consistently and is always relatively successful is so important to high school students.
Because in high school, you find that you’re always failing at something. There’s always something you could have done better, someone whose feelings you hurt, a chore at home you forgot to do, a parent who’s said things that hurt you, a grade that needs improvement, anxiety, depression, and a fear of failure. These are problems that we do our best to fix, but we can’t always be successful. No one can—except, of course, the heroes we look up to. The heroes that might have difficulties tackling that villain, or problems sorting through the guilt of hurting someone. We look up to these heroes because in the end, they’re more dependable than ourselves, but we feel that same struggle because anyone who’s done anything in their life has faced a struggle of some sort. To root for the hero is to root for yourself, and to have faith that he, and you, might be successful in the end.
As such, I’m recognizing high school students, far and wide, as our unsung heroes. Every student I’ve ever known has had struggles they faced, and whether they triumphed or failed, they still tried, and they’re still here, ready to face more challenges, looking up to comic book heroes for inspiration because they need something that’s constant.
For every freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior out there, I hope you keep on fighting the good fight. Even if your parents and teachers aren’t, the heroes are proud of you for keeping on.