Unsung Hero: Penny

smejkalh
Penny has the softest, most beautiful brown eyes. When I’m upset and I catch a glimpse of them, I see the unconditional love that is so characteristic of her. Her method of speaking—no, of comforting—lies not in words, but in those gorgeous eyes. Many nights I’ve laid crying over some disappointment, and she has been there to love me and let me know that I am never alone. What a beautiful soul! Her comforting looks, her warm caresses…it’s a bittersweet sorrow that comes as a result of her loving. How is it that she loves so deeply? I can’t describe how many times I’ve gotten so frustrated at her, so angry; how does she continue to view me as perfection? As her one and only? As the most wonderful being on this earth? It is incomprehensible to me. The love of my dog surpasses all others’, undoubtedly. My unsung hero that waddles on four paws loves me even when I yell as she tears up my favorite underwear. My unsung hero that speaks through her eyes loves me, even when I push her away after she’s rolled in the mud! I cannot imagine any human loving so unconditionally as she. “A [dog] who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution; a [dog] whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged:” that is my marvelous Penny. When has anybody recognized her love and care? When has anybody recognized any pet’s love and care? I truly believe that her contributions of unconditional, irrevocable, and unequivocal love are what make her my hero. She gives more than she receives, and she deserves the world for her incredible selfless acts of service to myself and my family. To Penny, I say this: you stinky little weenie dog, you’re my best friend, and my entire life. I love the way you get excited when we talk directly to you, and I love when you talk directly back. I especially love it when you talk through those big eyes—your heart is reflected in every inch of them. Thank you, for giving me love when sometimes I don’t think I deserve it. Thank you, for giving me all of your beautiful soul.