Unsung Hero: A Dad to Remember

JamieOlson
A dad sure is an obvious hero to anyone, but my dad is no obvious hero. He’s my unsung hero. He has been through a lot. Not just ordinary troubles; he’s been to the hospital about as much as a cancer patient. As a young adult, my dad was hit by a car that started his rough life. He’s been through roughly 4 major surgeries, several pain medications, and two trouble making kids, including me. Although, that is not why he’s my unsung hero. My dad is my unsung hero because after all that, he still gets up every day and works his body to the limit, sometimes past, being a stay at home dad. So that I can have a ‘normal’ life where I get everything I could possibly need. He does housework, mechanic work, yard work, and even finds us good shows to binge watch together. Because of how persistent he is, I look up to him. Every day whether he’s hurting or didn’t get a lot of sleep, he still gets up and does what needs to be done. Another reason why he’s my unsung hero is because he teaches me life lessons. I may not always appreciate it at the time but I come around, eventually. He’s very smart and does his research. Dad always makes sure that I know what he’s talking about and even what I’m talking about. He always makes sure that I know when he’s angry that it’s not my fault it’s because he hurts and that I shouldn’t worry too much. The last reason he’s my unsung hero is a result from how awesome of a friend he is. He will talk to me about anything and will include his expert opinion on it. Dad will always find time to talk to me. And of course, to binge watch shows together. We record lots of shows every week on our TV and nine times out of ten, we’ll make time to watch them together. My dad is one of my favorite people and my unsung hero for several reasons. I’m sure most of them I don’t know yet but as time goes on I’ll learn. Nonetheless thanks to him, my life, my family’s life, and others around us’ lives are better.