Unsung Hero: The Thing Inside

cookieks
The most unheard of and misunderstood hero of all time is the one that never rises. Let’s say for the sake of words that this hero’s name is Potential, the thing that hasn’t yet been discovered but is still lying in wait for the opportune moment to shine. Every person who has ever lived has had it, this thing inside of them that is ready to burst out into song, letting its soul fly on the wings of each precious note of life. Why do not more people allow it to break free of the cage of pride, popularity, and expectations? It’s a personal choice, really; something that each and every person has to decide at some point.
Often we make the choice of whether or not to rise to our full potential without realizing it. We do something that may seem small, but in reality has changed our lives permanently. The decision may range anywhere from deciding to comfort someone who is going through loss to not doing so. Every small act defines who we are, where we will go, and what we will decide to do in the future. We all do things like this, either forging us into the heroes that we can become or pushing us down a level of life’s progression.
Although most of us are defined by what we do daily, we can also change in one collision of critical decision. We can come to a realization of who we are through a battle of trauma, loss, or simply when you pause your life and ask yourself the question, ‘Where am I and what am I doing with my life?’ Not all of us go through any of these examples of becoming Potential, but we all can decide now to change.
So why Potential? Why this thing that no one cares for, that people rarely truly understand? It’s because of just those reasons; Potential can mean that everyone is a hero. That we can all do great things, live great lives, and be great people. We can all choose who we become, and doing that is the most heroic thing of all. Potential is more heroic that saving a life; more gallant than sacrificing your own life; more powerful than the tides in the oceans. Potential is different for each of us; how will you use this thing? How will you become great?