Unsung Hero: The Voice Inside My Head

n0stalgic
It’s funny how people can list off plenty of people that would qualify as an “unsung hero”, but the list would go on and on before the mentioned themselves. Until recently, I was the same way. But something inside me changed, and it made me realize who my real hero was.

For my entire life, I have struggled with not being good enough. My clinical depression, anxiety, and addictions have only made it worse on myself, and believe me, no one was harder on me about it than my own head.

For three years, I actively used drugs. I started when I was 13, and I stopped when I was 17. Being clean for the past five months is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but the one person that actually helped me get through it was, well, myself.

I believe that everyone has a genius inside of him or her, a little voice of reason to help him or her get through anything. Whether it’s in dreams, or just sudden realizations, there has always been something inside me that stops me from going to far, and helps me take a step back and look at the situation.

I’ve never given that part of me enough credit.

The day I started using, I consciously knew it was a bad idea. It was as if my mind was telling my body, screaming at it even, to not do this. But being the pressured, depressed teenage girl that I was, I didn’t listen to it. The day I got clean was the day I sat down and let it talk to me.

I looked back over the past three years of my life, and saw how much I had gone downhill. When I first got clean I was doing so much better – that tends to happen when you stop using drugs – but I was so unbelievably depressed. People tried to help me – family, friends, therapists – but the one person that made it so I could get through it and move on was that little voice inside my head.

Over the past five months, I have listened to that voice, and I have let it guide me towards the path of having a clean and healthy life. I’ve let it lead me towards decisions that are best for me, and most of all, I don’t ignore it.

However, I still don’t give it enough credit where it’s due. I don’t give myself enough credit.

I could list off plenty more people that would qualify as “unsung heroes” in my life. There are so many people that do so many great things, and deserve to be recognized. But at this time in my life, I need to recognize and give thanks to the one person whom I couldn’t have gotten better without.

That little voice inside my head…myself.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Unsung Hero essay being selected as one of our top 10 teen essays for our January writing contest.

To view all the results of our January 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after February 28th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed by Thursday.

Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 2:44:30 PM

We have tallied our results and your essay is a Runner up in our January 2015 Unsung Hero teen writing contest. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing your story on Stageoflife.com and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Stageoflife Co-founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:49:40 PM