STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: The taste of African Chinese Food

shafeioswa
The summer after my freshman year of high school, my family relocated to the coast of Northern Africa. I was suddenly thrust into the terrifying environment of a politically unstable city, where I had no friends and did not understand or speak the local dialect. I was to be enrolled into the region's "best school," an international academy that would cost thousands of dollars a year.

Up until that point, I had been all my life straight A student. I worked hard in school, and I did so with dreams of attending a top-class college in the future. That summer, I was leaving America adorned with several writing awards, multiple club leadership positions, a spotless GPA, and a pretty impressive work ethic.

Over-confidently, and perhaps even pompously, I expected to coast by in my new International school. I believed that the American and British exported teachers that I would find in my new desert home would provide me the same quality of education that I was used to, and that I depended on for my future imaginary enrollment in an Ivy League school.

Perhaps predictably, my envisioned academic success and popularity crumbled within weeks of my arrival. Bogged down by the pressures of the culture shock, my lack of friends, the bullies I found in my new school, and a terrible internet connection that cut me off from my lifelong friends back in Atlanta, I began to feel depressed. My worsening depression, coupled with the crippling realization that my status as an international student would narrow even further my chances of Ivy League acceptance, caused my prided work ethic to wither and die pitifully.

I felt isolated and alone, literally trapped in the middle of nowhere, with nobody to care about who I was, what I did, or what happened to me. My teachers, too, after a few days of instruction, began to slack off, due to a lack of administrative guidance. I began to feel self-satisfied with simply surviving each day, and no longer strived to set myself apart or achieve much of anything.

A few months into the school year, however, a new teacher arrived. He was American- a familiar friend in the foreign atmosphere- and he came late in the school year due to border difficulties in obtaining a visa. That teacher, Mr. Stuart*, I can say with complete and unexaggerated honesty, changed my life.

No authority forced him to, or would have withheld his paycheck if he hadn’t. Nobody cared if he gave lesson plans, or even picked up a pencil all day long, but he still went out of his way to actually help me and my classmates with our studying. He went out of his way to befriend every student, including the outcasts, like me. He brought me homemade Chinese food, on one occasion, because I felt homesick- that fried rice and sesame chicken, embarrassingly, nearly brought me to tears.

I’ll never forget his kindness, or the taste of that homemade Chinese food.

It is not mentioned in my story, but Mr. Stuart passed away a year after my move, after being targeting while going for a jog in a politically/religiously unstable neighborhood. It was then, after his death, that my family decided to move back to America, where I live now and am finishing out my junior year of high school.

He deserves still mentions of his exceptional character and heart.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy