STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: The Chorus Teacher Who Does So Much More

kisbell8
Unsung Hero: A Chorus Teacher Who Does So Much More
In an age where arts education is dwindling, I have realized how truly important it is. My life was completely changed when I joined chorus at my high school three years ago because I met the most incredible person I know, my chorus teacher. Mr. Horrell is an incredibly talented musician, conductor, and singer. He knows the most effective ways to ensure our choir sounds its very best. He encourages his students to work their hardest and to be the best that they can be. If all of this wasn’t enough, Mr. Horrell does so much more for his students.
Upon entering high school, I struggled to fit in with most of my peers. I tend to be perceived as a snobby know-it-all, but that could not be farther from my true personality. Mr. Horrell sensed my social struggle and sought me out in order to help me with my problems. He has continued to be my go-to person for advice even for silly things like issues with boys. Although Mr. Horrell and I have a special relationship, I know that he is a trusted confidante for several others of his students. When a friend of mine was dealing with a serious mental illness, Mr. Horrell was there for her every step of the way, providing any concessions he could for her in class to make sure she was always comfortable. Mr. Horrell is unlike anyone I know because he truly cares for and respects each and every one of his students.
This chorus teacher from the small town of Wilmington, North Carolina is one of the unsung heroes of the world because of his diligence and need to make life a little easier for everyone in his life. He is humble; he cringes when someone compliments his talents as a teacher. Although he is well-known in the music community in our town, he is not known around the world or even around the state. He will not be remembered for his work and his kindness will not be documented in history books of the future. He will not receive a great prize like the Nobel Peace Prize. But he has made a major impact in my life and the lives of choral students of the past and present. He will continue to spread his light throughout his teaching career and this makes me excited for the students of the future who will no doubt adore Mr. Horrell as much as I do. I hope to continue to know him until I am an adult because I could learn a great amount about humanity from this hero in my life.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy