Unsung Hero: The Chorus Teacher Who Does So Much More

kisbell8
Unsung Hero: A Chorus Teacher Who Does So Much More
In an age where arts education is dwindling, I have realized how truly important it is. My life was completely changed when I joined chorus at my high school three years ago because I met the most incredible person I know, my chorus teacher. Mr. Horrell is an incredibly talented musician, conductor, and singer. He knows the most effective ways to ensure our choir sounds its very best. He encourages his students to work their hardest and to be the best that they can be. If all of this wasn’t enough, Mr. Horrell does so much more for his students.
Upon entering high school, I struggled to fit in with most of my peers. I tend to be perceived as a snobby know-it-all, but that could not be farther from my true personality. Mr. Horrell sensed my social struggle and sought me out in order to help me with my problems. He has continued to be my go-to person for advice even for silly things like issues with boys. Although Mr. Horrell and I have a special relationship, I know that he is a trusted confidante for several others of his students. When a friend of mine was dealing with a serious mental illness, Mr. Horrell was there for her every step of the way, providing any concessions he could for her in class to make sure she was always comfortable. Mr. Horrell is unlike anyone I know because he truly cares for and respects each and every one of his students.
This chorus teacher from the small town of Wilmington, North Carolina is one of the unsung heroes of the world because of his diligence and need to make life a little easier for everyone in his life. He is humble; he cringes when someone compliments his talents as a teacher. Although he is well-known in the music community in our town, he is not known around the world or even around the state. He will not be remembered for his work and his kindness will not be documented in history books of the future. He will not receive a great prize like the Nobel Peace Prize. But he has made a major impact in my life and the lives of choral students of the past and present. He will continue to spread his light throughout his teaching career and this makes me excited for the students of the future who will no doubt adore Mr. Horrell as much as I do. I hope to continue to know him until I am an adult because I could learn a great amount about humanity from this hero in my life.