Unsung Heroes: My Second Family

cbay
For the past nine years, I have been a member of my town’s local year-round swim team. That being said, it is apparent that this sport has made a big impact on my life. However, the team, my coaches, and the friends I have made along the way have impacted my life even more. Each day, I can look forward to seeing the same people, who I know will push me to be my best in everything I do. If I am having a particularly stressful day, their attitude and positivity instantly brightens my day. My coach strives me to be my best, and I have grown significantly as a swimmer in the past couple of years due to his coaching strategies. He is very relaxed, but pushes us to a point where we know we must be improving as swimmers. Being on this team has also taught me several important life lessons such as time management, respect, and dedication. Having nine practices per week, as well as a tough schedule at school made it crucial for me to learn how to manage my time so that I can finish schoolwork and attend practice.
My team is an unsung hero in my life because they do not understand the impact they have made on me as a person, and the positive benefits they add to my life. My teammates come to practice everyday not knowing the impact they could be having on me, whether I needed someone to talk to, or just someone to struggle with me through a difficult practice. My coach knows that his work is leading to improvements I have made in the pool, but he does not know the affect it brings to me. Every time I leave the pool after a fast swim, or I fix my stroke in some way, it causes my entire attitude to change for the remainder of the day. Throughout my swimming career, my teammates and my coach have truly been heroes and have become my second family; they are a group of people that I can look up to and lean on for support.