Unsung Hero: My Aunt’s Selfless Act

dravensch
To me, a hero is someone who stands up for what they believe is right, even with a personal cost. A hero is someone who does something not based on what they want, but based on the needs of other. An unsung hero is someone who does something not for attention or praise, but because it is what they believe to be correct. My aunt Tasha fits all of these descriptions.
I haven’t exactly lived the best life. With two absent parents, an abusive grandmother, and a school where I did not fit in, things were not going how I wanted them to. At the age of 26, Tasha had two children, a three year old boy and a six year old girl, and a hardworking husband. Having a toddler and a young girl about to start school is an absolute handful. However, when it came down to it, she put my sister and I before anything else. At the ripe ole age of 13 I was set to be removed from the house I was living in. Tasha intervened, and decided she would take my sister and I to live with her. We were all terrified, my sister and I at the idea of living somewhere that had beforehand been foreign to us and Tasha and her husband at the thought of suddenly having two teenage girls, but we have made it work.
Tasha has since taken up a job at my school for extra income, and also became a youth leader at our church. Tasha will always be one of my personal heroes not only for taking us into her home, but for also stepping up and doing what she believes is right. She still deals with struggles, as does every human, but her grace in any situation is one of the most admirable traits about her. She is hardworking at our house, her job, and in anything that she does. I am so thankful to have this kind of a role model in my life and proud to be able to call her family.