Unsung Hero: The Most Inspiring Friend I Could Ever Ask For

clairekeller17
An unsung hero is defined as a "person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution; a person whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged" (dictionary.com). To me, when I think of this term, the first person that comes to mind is my best friend Emily. Emily has been given so many reasons to lose hope and give up on life. She’s been through so much the past two years. For starters, she had two severe concussions that kept her out of school for months. She then had a tumor scare. This past year, her dad was diagnosed with stage four Cancer (thankfully, he recently announced that he beat it). Emily has gone through far too many traumatizing events for a 16 year old. She hasn’t lived her teenage years as average teens do. I wish she were able to have things easier. Her heart is pure gold. She’s one of those people that you meet and don’t forget. Her love and kindness is infectious. The world would truly be a better place if there were more Emily’s in it. My favorite thing about our friendship is that she inspires me to be a better person. She brings out the best in me and makes me feel like, well, me. I don’t have to hide who I am around her. I can be myself and know that she wont judge. I trust her with everything in me. It’s hard to imagine life without her. She lifts me up in so many ways, and I don’t know how I got so blessed to be able to call such a great person my best friend. I wish more than anything that I was able to make Emily more known in the world for her bravery and kindness. She deserves to be known by everyone for all of the good that she’s done and continues to do. Unfortunately, this isn’t something I can do. For now, I am just able to continue supporting her, loving her, and appreciating her for everything. Emily’s strength that has gotten her through the hardest time of her life has changed mine in so many ways. She reminds me that the key to life is happiness. Without her, I wouldn’t have been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and the light beyond the clouds during my own personal issues. For these reasons, Emily truly is my unstrung hero.