An Unsung Hero: My Soldier

yunimh99
An Unsung Hero: My Soldier

Unsung hero, a person who makes unrecognized contribution, and bravery that’s unacknowledged. When I was younger I was always closer to my mom rather than my dad. He was in the military, and was the reason we moved a few times. I hated moving, leaving everything I knew behind and starting over, and for the longest time my father being a Marine was normal. I had lived on base surrounded by kids just like me and had always known it to be his job just like people are doctors and lawyers. It wasn’t till after my dad left the military that I came to appreciate who he was.
When I was seven years old my father left for Iraq. Even though I was really young and not quite aware of what was going on I knew he wasn’t going to a safe place. I had friends parents who had left and returned home injured or were never able to come back. The day he left my younger brother clung onto my father’s neck in tears. He wouldn’t let go, screaming and crying, saying he wanted to go with daddy. Imagine living every day for seven months wondering when your father was going to come home, or if he was even safe. Even my shy sister kept a picture of him under her pillow and would sit there and look at it every night.
We stayed on base for seven months, and went to the library almost every day. Reading was the way to forget worrying for hours. Even the Father’s day that wasn’t big to us became different because he wasn’t there. I had cried in school while making Father’s day cards, knowing he wouldn’t be there and I wouldn’t be able to give it to him. To me crying was embarrassing, especially at school, and I had never really cried in front of friends. Instead of making one card for him, my teacher had decided to make a book of cards made by everyone to send to my father. The day he came back is still to this day the happiest day of my life. I no longer had to worry about if he was alive, if he was safe, or when we would get his next letters.
A couple years later I finally came to understand why he had gone. My father had asked to be sent to protect his country by risking his life, they hadn’t chosen him to go. Even then I had no idea why someone would do such a thing, he had a family. But that was his job, being a marine, to protect his country. While my friend’s parents are teachers or doctors my father will always be a marine. He will always be my hero and I can rest soundly at night. I am always proud to brag about my father who was brave enough to leave his family to protect the country that he loves.