Unsung Hero: My Grandfather’s religiousness

sismail16
I never really considered myself very religious taking into consideration, how different I am to other Muslims. I don’t wrap a scarf around my head and I don’t wear extra long and loose clothing everyday. Although, I was loyal to my faith, I felt that I had a lack of participation in paying my dues to God.
I always enjoy studying the way my grandfather mumbles short prayers and verses of the Qur’an to himself. He tells me to cover up my arms or to not wear my school uniform skirt too short, and most importantly to pray everyday. I used to pray only when I was stressed, going through a difficult time, and in the holy month of Ramadan not everyday, 5 times a day as Muslims are called to do. I blamed my prayer schedule on school, terrible memory, being misinformed on the correct prayer times, anything that I thought made a strong excuse. My grandfather prays every prayer there is, including the ones that are not mandatory. He indirectly taught me to do the same.
My grandfather does not need to be credited by others because he helped me improve my prayer schedule drastically. I appreciate what he has taught me and by thanking him for influencing me to change my spotty prayer schedule and do a little extra than the mandatory.
An unsung hero is a person who did not have to influence a large group of people. An unsung hero is a person who did not recognize his acts of heroism. An unsung hero is a person who wishes the same for his brother as he wishes for himself.