STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Unsung Hero: The girl in between two worlds

laura98
My Unsung Hero
The girl in between two worlds

The day I met my best friend, I also met my soulmate and my hero. A common misconception is that heroes ought to be well known and widely acclaimed, but to me a hero is someone who ignites your soul, inspires you, wins your admiration and teaches you something without trying to; unconsciously being the proof that what is believed by some to be impossible is actually possible and not that out of reach.

I once talked about her to someone I knew and the first thing they said when I told them she was half Saudi half American and she lived in Saudi Arabia was : “Doesn’t she hate either one of the cultures? Shouldn’t she?”.

In that moment I felt a wave of pity for that person standing right in front of me because they didn’t know what they were talking about, because they were just voicing common prejudices and beliefs that what’s different can’t go together, that there can’t be harmony between two things that are not exactly the same, that one is bound to take a side, that there is just one right side and that there is no in between. I felt pity for them because they never had the luck to meet A , they never had the chance to be inspired by her the way I was.

It would not be correct to say that she changed the way I saw things because when I met her I already had my solid ideas on open mindedness,respect , and appreciation of diversity, but ever since I met her I thought that she had the power to trigger the change for people who didn’t share these same principles; showing them how to live without feeling the need to be either one thing or another, without the need to pick a side but just with the pride to be who they are.

It’s frustrating to see that while she can love both Saudi Arabia and the USA, without feeling the pressure to choose between the two, that she can be tolerant and appreciative of other religions but at the same time won’t let prejudices and misconceptions change her mind about her own, that she is a hero without expecting people to see her as such, there still are people all over the world who live in their own little boxes without wanting to see that different is not bad, without wanting to hear that there is no one right side to pick in every situation, that not everything is black or white, that there are many shades of grey in between.

And that’t what our friendship is, it’s one of those beautiful and unique shades of grey that people fear so much.
Superheroes fly from one corner of the world to another, my hero connects them, she is the bridge between what some believe to be two worlds, and what she demonstrates to be just one.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Unsung Hero essay being selected as one of our top 10 teen essays for our January writing contest.

To view all the results of our January 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after February 28th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed by Thursday.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 2:47:00 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

We have tallied our results and your essay is a Runner up in our January 2015 Unsung Hero teen writing contest. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing your story on Stageoflife.com and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
Stageoflife Co-founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:51:32 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy