My Unsung Hero: The girl in between two worlds

laura98
My Unsung Hero
The girl in between two worlds

The day I met my best friend, I also met my soulmate and my hero. A common misconception is that heroes ought to be well known and widely acclaimed, but to me a hero is someone who ignites your soul, inspires you, wins your admiration and teaches you something without trying to; unconsciously being the proof that what is believed by some to be impossible is actually possible and not that out of reach.

I once talked about her to someone I knew and the first thing they said when I told them she was half Saudi half American and she lived in Saudi Arabia was : “Doesn’t she hate either one of the cultures? Shouldn’t she?”.

In that moment I felt a wave of pity for that person standing right in front of me because they didn’t know what they were talking about, because they were just voicing common prejudices and beliefs that what’s different can’t go together, that there can’t be harmony between two things that are not exactly the same, that one is bound to take a side, that there is just one right side and that there is no in between. I felt pity for them because they never had the luck to meet A , they never had the chance to be inspired by her the way I was.

It would not be correct to say that she changed the way I saw things because when I met her I already had my solid ideas on open mindedness,respect , and appreciation of diversity, but ever since I met her I thought that she had the power to trigger the change for people who didn’t share these same principles; showing them how to live without feeling the need to be either one thing or another, without the need to pick a side but just with the pride to be who they are.

It’s frustrating to see that while she can love both Saudi Arabia and the USA, without feeling the pressure to choose between the two, that she can be tolerant and appreciative of other religions but at the same time won’t let prejudices and misconceptions change her mind about her own, that she is a hero without expecting people to see her as such, there still are people all over the world who live in their own little boxes without wanting to see that different is not bad, without wanting to hear that there is no one right side to pick in every situation, that not everything is black or white, that there are many shades of grey in between.

And that’t what our friendship is, it’s one of those beautiful and unique shades of grey that people fear so much.
Superheroes fly from one corner of the world to another, my hero connects them, she is the bridge between what some believe to be two worlds, and what she demonstrates to be just one.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Unsung Hero essay being selected as one of our top 10 teen essays for our January writing contest.

To view all the results of our January 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after February 28th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed by Thursday.

Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 2:47:00 PM

We have tallied our results and your essay is a Runner up in our January 2015 Unsung Hero teen writing contest. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing your story on Stageoflife.com and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Stageoflife Co-founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:51:32 PM