Unsung Hero: The Boy With No Resume

simonejohnston
It’s funny how one conversation; one act or one moment can completely change your outlook on life. If you would have asked me a month ago if I thought of myself as a hero I would have responded with an "of course!" and went on to explain my many volunteer activities and certificates of charity and leadership. Yet today, at this time in my life I don't see myself as a hero. I volunteered, donated and won awards for charity not because I cared about what I was doing for people. I did it to put it on my resume, to convince a group of people that I was a good person. At least I did until I was partnered with Roger.
Roger and I were told to research what college we wanted to go to and explain why.
"You can start." I told him "where do you want to go?”
"I’m not going to college." he replied bluntly.
"Of course you are Roger." I laughed, "You’re top of our class!”
"I have to take care of my dad. I'm not going." he replied, clearly done with the conversation.
“What happened to your dad?” I hesitantly asked. “He’s sick. “He can’t work so I’m going to work. I’ve known it my whole life.”
“If you knew you weren’t going to college why did you try so hard in school? Why are you the president of so many volunteer originations? Why didn’t you drop out when you turned 16? You’re better than that Roger you can’t just quit! ”.
“I stayed in school because I wanted to learn. I volunteered because I know what these people are going though. It’s not that I don’t want to go it’s that I can’t. I won’t leave my family.” A tear rolled down his face. “I need to go home good luck with the project. “ Roger stormed out, trying to hide his tears.
As soon as I got home from school I dropped on the couch and lied there crying. I couldn’t help thinking about my intensions and motivations. They were not centered on my family, or school or anything else except myself. I was never a hero. Roger was. Roger cared and was going to give up his future to help others. Yet me, the selfish girl, was going to college and the biggest hero I knew was trapped, unnoticed in the small town everyone tried so desperately to leave. I wanted to help. I needed to do something. Not because I wanted to put it on my resume. Not because I though I would get an award. I was going to help because I wanted to make a genuine impact. I wiped away my tears, got up and went to find Roger.