Unsung Hero: Her Heart of Gold

IamYasaman
Unsung Hero: Her Heart of Gold
I have an unsung hero. She’s my mother. Her name is Afsaneh. She has been through so much, I’m just glad that I have the opportunity to tell her story. My definition of a hero is someone who puts the needs of others before their own, not wanting anything in return.
Afsaneh was born in Tabriz, Iran on October 6th, 1969. When she was eight years old, her father died in a car accident, leaving her and her three siblings under the care of their mother with a bit of help from their grandparents. Most of Afsaneh’s childhood was surrounded by warfare. She would take her sister to the bathroom during air raids, because she was scared. As Afsaneh grew up, her older siblings went to college, but she stayed home to help her aging mother and to not put too much financial pressure on her mother. Her siblings taught Afsaneh the art of accounting. She took what she learned and worked for a small company, making some money for herself and her mother.
Afsaneh turned 29 and met Feridoon. They got married in Turkey. They moved to Alamogordo, NM and had a little girl named Yasaman. When Yasaman turned four, the family moved to Albuquerque, NM. Afsaneh was pregnant for her second child, a boy who would be named Payam.
In 2008, Afsaneh went in for a routine mammogram. They found lumps in her right breast. A biopsy confirmed that it was cancerous. Afsaneh was crushed, her mother had been diagnosed with cancer, she survived but the chemotherapy hurt her health. Afsaneh decided to go under the knife instead of chemo. After multiple lumpectomies, and no ‘All clear’ Afsaneh decided to have a mastectomy. After a long time and many surgeries, Afsaneh was ready to take on life again. A muscle from her stomach had been taken to make a breast for her. It caused her lots of pain to use her arm, it still does. The next year, Afsaneh went in for a mammogram for her left breast. Cancerous lumps were found. After repeating last year’s process on the other side, Afsaneh hit life with full force. She began to participate in cancer fundraising events and she drank a little bit of wine on her birthday and anniversary.
As the years went on, financial burdens became heavier. Afsaneh’s medical needs became prominent. She began to skip doctor’s appointments so to save money for her children. She began to color her hair at home, plucked her own eyebrows, and did her own nails. She would save her money for the pricey painkillers for the pain in her arm. She gave up lots of luxuries to keep her children from being deprived of an education they needed.
My mother is my hero. It’s kind of hard to describe her in the way I see her, but I hope I painted a vivid picture of the woman who made all the difference in my life.