Unsung Hero: Preacher Man

blackwingbutterflies
The church was our dance studio, our teacher the preacher. Our religion was one of inclusiveness and race relations, one that shaped our lives forevermore. The sermons were said over choruses of India Irie and Stevie Wonder, while bodies and minds became one. We learned of loving ourselves; of disarming discrimination and injustice; of finding freedom from our inner demons. Preacher man practiced at every class, constructing a community of girls and boys of all colors. Brown sisters and white sisters held hands during hymns – harnessing all harm society had done to them and turning it into something beautiful. To outsiders, it was merely a black studio, teaching the ways of plies and shuffles. But to those inside, it was incredible: expression and energy were always encouraged. Preacher man was himself an odyssey: gay, black, and overweight. He let none of this stop him from succeeding in life. He allowed me to accept myself – the curvy and bisexual bits of me – as something wholesome and incredible. He taught me that I mattered.