I am Thankful for Jane Eyre

beccaahhh
I am Thankful for Jane Eyre

One of the most famous works, Jane Eyre, has touched me in a way most novels could not. Throughout my life, I have been the black sheep of my family; I had no real passion or talents that could relate me to my family. Unlike Jane, I did have a family, except they never were the role models I had always dreamed of. Admittedly, I desired to be in a different world from my boring, vanilla life. I cherished my family, but it never made me feel completed. Although I wanted so much for myself, I didn't think that I would ever be able to grasp it; I was already feeling out of place and empty when Murphy's Law decided to come into action. My brother was in rehab for a drug addiction, my sister lost herself in parties, my mother was swarmed in debt, my father drank himself into a stupor each night; and I was caught on the outside, alone.

I became an imprint of my former self; I was numb and hollow. All I had wanted to do was escape reality; however, I wasn't going to use the vices my family had chosen. It was then that I found reading. Don't get me wrong, I knew it existed, except it never drew me in like it suddenly had. In the novels I read, I had found light, color, inspiration, love, sorrow, anger, and every other emotion possible. Out of the blue, I was suddenly feeling emotions again; I was dumbfounded. I felt myself feeling their thoughts and desires. A dream was forming in my mind, and I wanted it more than anything I ever wished for. I saw a new life. A college education at a school I picked and loved. A career that I enjoyed immensely. A family that I could start over with. I saw happiness and love; two things I never understood.

One day I picked up Jane Eyre: I was going through a romantic classics phase. From the first page, I was drawn in. I found an instant connection to Jane. My life and family by no means compared to hers; but nevertheless, I had in sometime experienced every emotion she had: loneliness, anger, rejection, hope, and a plethora of more. Jane, on the other hand, took what she had in stride. She had created a life for herself when all she had behind her was an education. Being independent created a path for her, and I saw my own path. I was feeling a deep sense of admiration and inspiration budding within me; I was exhilarated. Seeing the growth occur in her was mesmerizing, and I knew that I could relate. I had the power to change and to make my life worthwhile

Jane Eyre was a wake up call for me. I was no longer alone or empty, I felt filled. I gained independence, which turned out to be one of my greatest assets. It changed my life, and I am grateful.
Comment by farmgirlwrites

What an amazing essay! I've never read Jane Eyre, but now I'm going to read it.
Books are amazing, aren't they?
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:42:06 AM