STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am Thankful for Jane Eyre

beccaahhh
I am Thankful for Jane Eyre

One of the most famous works, Jane Eyre, has touched me in a way most novels could not. Throughout my life, I have been the black sheep of my family; I had no real passion or talents that could relate me to my family. Unlike Jane, I did have a family, except they never were the role models I had always dreamed of. Admittedly, I desired to be in a different world from my boring, vanilla life. I cherished my family, but it never made me feel completed. Although I wanted so much for myself, I didn't think that I would ever be able to grasp it; I was already feeling out of place and empty when Murphy's Law decided to come into action. My brother was in rehab for a drug addiction, my sister lost herself in parties, my mother was swarmed in debt, my father drank himself into a stupor each night; and I was caught on the outside, alone.

I became an imprint of my former self; I was numb and hollow. All I had wanted to do was escape reality; however, I wasn't going to use the vices my family had chosen. It was then that I found reading. Don't get me wrong, I knew it existed, except it never drew me in like it suddenly had. In the novels I read, I had found light, color, inspiration, love, sorrow, anger, and every other emotion possible. Out of the blue, I was suddenly feeling emotions again; I was dumbfounded. I felt myself feeling their thoughts and desires. A dream was forming in my mind, and I wanted it more than anything I ever wished for. I saw a new life. A college education at a school I picked and loved. A career that I enjoyed immensely. A family that I could start over with. I saw happiness and love; two things I never understood.

One day I picked up Jane Eyre: I was going through a romantic classics phase. From the first page, I was drawn in. I found an instant connection to Jane. My life and family by no means compared to hers; but nevertheless, I had in sometime experienced every emotion she had: loneliness, anger, rejection, hope, and a plethora of more. Jane, on the other hand, took what she had in stride. She had created a life for herself when all she had behind her was an education. Being independent created a path for her, and I saw my own path. I was feeling a deep sense of admiration and inspiration budding within me; I was exhilarated. Seeing the growth occur in her was mesmerizing, and I knew that I could relate. I had the power to change and to make my life worthwhile

Jane Eyre was a wake up call for me. I was no longer alone or empty, I felt filled. I gained independence, which turned out to be one of my greatest assets. It changed my life, and I am grateful.
Rate this:
Comment by farmgirlwrites

What an amazing essay! I've never read Jane Eyre, but now I'm going to read it.
Books are amazing, aren't they?
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:42:06 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy