STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I'm Thankful For My German Shepherd, Lexus

casie412lj
I remember the first time I saw her; she looked about three, with a tan body and black hair stretching down her spine onto her tail. She had black goo in her eyes from acid, and patches of fur missing on her skinny legs. Her tongue and gums were black and pink, and she was sickly skinny, but to me, she was and still is the most beautiful dog I've ever seen. Her entire life she was abused; she lived in a one bedroom apartment with my brother and her owner, both drug addicts. She seldom went outside, but the few times she did, it's believed she was entered in dog fights. For at least eight hours a day she was confined in a bathroom. Her source of water? The toilet. Where to go to the bathroom? In the bathtub on newspaper. Needless to say, when she walked into my house she peed on the floor and jumped right on the couch, she was just too excited. I was too, because from that moment, I knew I had found a best friend.
Since that day, my entire family has changed. No one dreads going home anymore, because they know Lexus will be waiting for them with a gift hanging from her mouth, underwear. It feels incredible knowing that after a hard day at school, at least someone is excited to see you.
Not only that, but she is absolutely my best friend. It sounds weird to everyone else, but to be honest, I KNOW I can tell her anything, and I'm confident she won't tell a soul. It feels good to share your darkest secrets with the best listener in the world. And, when I'm upset and crying, she'll jump on top of me and lick off my tears.
I struggled a lot my eighth grade year, especially with depression. There was times when I just wanted to end it all, but I didn't, and it was because of her. She means so much to me, that I based my decisions off of her being happy too. In a way, she saved me.
So this Thanksgiving, I'm dedicating it all to Lexus. My bestfriend, over protective, family guarding, bipolar German Shepherd that means the world to me.
Rate this:
Comment by farmgirlwrites

I have a German Shepherd as well, who also came from an abusive home. She's crazy, but she's one of my best friends! (But don't let my cat hear me telling you that.)
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:39:08 AM
Rate this:
Comment by casie412lj

Haha, that's funny. Yeah, mine is very territorial. If there's even a light on the wall, she goes crazy, haha.
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:52:42 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy