I'm Thankful For My German Shepherd, Lexus

casie412lj
I remember the first time I saw her; she looked about three, with a tan body and black hair stretching down her spine onto her tail. She had black goo in her eyes from acid, and patches of fur missing on her skinny legs. Her tongue and gums were black and pink, and she was sickly skinny, but to me, she was and still is the most beautiful dog I've ever seen. Her entire life she was abused; she lived in a one bedroom apartment with my brother and her owner, both drug addicts. She seldom went outside, but the few times she did, it's believed she was entered in dog fights. For at least eight hours a day she was confined in a bathroom. Her source of water? The toilet. Where to go to the bathroom? In the bathtub on newspaper. Needless to say, when she walked into my house she peed on the floor and jumped right on the couch, she was just too excited. I was too, because from that moment, I knew I had found a best friend.
Since that day, my entire family has changed. No one dreads going home anymore, because they know Lexus will be waiting for them with a gift hanging from her mouth, underwear. It feels incredible knowing that after a hard day at school, at least someone is excited to see you.
Not only that, but she is absolutely my best friend. It sounds weird to everyone else, but to be honest, I KNOW I can tell her anything, and I'm confident she won't tell a soul. It feels good to share your darkest secrets with the best listener in the world. And, when I'm upset and crying, she'll jump on top of me and lick off my tears.
I struggled a lot my eighth grade year, especially with depression. There was times when I just wanted to end it all, but I didn't, and it was because of her. She means so much to me, that I based my decisions off of her being happy too. In a way, she saved me.
So this Thanksgiving, I'm dedicating it all to Lexus. My bestfriend, over protective, family guarding, bipolar German Shepherd that means the world to me.
Comment by farmgirlwrites

I have a German Shepherd as well, who also came from an abusive home. She's crazy, but she's one of my best friends! (But don't let my cat hear me telling you that.)
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:39:08 AM
Comment by casie412lj

Haha, that's funny. Yeah, mine is very territorial. If there's even a light on the wall, she goes crazy, haha.
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:52:42 AM